Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have had my 350 since last July and have clocked up 4500 miles and have been trying to sell it for the last 2 months as the 55AMG I have ordered has now arrived.

My idea was to sell the 350 for about £36-£37k (list price was (£39.5k).

After advertising with Sunday Times/Auto trader and Top MArques - I have had no private buyer calls.
Only trade people offering £33k.

Phoned 10 dealerships and all said they have more 350's to sell than 200's and the 200's are in demand.

Although you would have thought there would be a big waiting list on AMG - alot of dealers have speced out ones arriving in July/Aug and so anyone can pick up one if they wanted.

My dilema is that I can't sell my 350 to finance the 55AMG and am gutted!
I also don't want to loose £6k for a car I thought would be in demand.

AAARRgghh!!!! Any thoughts on best way to sell it!!
I am desperate to pick up the AMG - The dealer will keep it for me till end of month!

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
You could try eBay, as a few have appeared on there over the last few months. However if you have only lost £6K in the first year of ownership, that is still unusual at the end of the day. Most new cars of a similar price would now be worth less. Unfortunately I suspect you will have to take what you can get from a dealer. It was clear from last summer that residual values would be good but not to the extent of staying anywhere near list. Even back then I knew a couple of people who sold theirs with delivery mileage at a loss. They weren't bothered about the car but were expecting to be able to sell it immediately at a premium, so it serves them right. Obviously you weren't in that position, but some of those speculators selling on straight away have no doubt affected the price you can get for yours. If you really want the 55 AMG, then I certainly wouldn't give up on it for the sake of a few thousand. I would probably take the hit, chalk it down to experience and move on.

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried Ebay - only went to £32k....I just didn't expect it would have gone down so much considering its first year and being in demand!

Oh Well..may just take the hit!

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I plan to keep mine long term, could not accept a quick sale and £6k hit. Thats £1.33 per mile depreciation. I would have to really want the AMG to sell. I was expecting about 33% depreciation over 3 years, thats £13k, you are already half way there in 10 months. Ouch!

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your wise advice....but you know when you really want something!!!

I also like the colour black and the new AMG is black with red leather.

Also have to convince the wife!!
Well - I will try Sunday times once more with a reduced price - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
589 Posts
If its mostly the color you want then trade down for the upcoming SLK280 and you might be able to get an even swap plus the fun of having a new car in the color you prefer.

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
What you say seems to be endorsed by MBs site in UK which currently has 59 350s for sale in the MB dealership network yet around 12 200s. Perhaps the £4 gallon is going to make the 350 less attractive, despite its capabilities. Funny how, just 12 months ago it was the 350 that was harder to secure. It seems that a load of people have speculated on SLKs, as happened with the R170, because there have been loads of models for sale in the past 12 months on ebay and in the papers. Seems there with be little or no real 'profit' this time around for speculators.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
What you also have to consider is that not everyone has or will spend £40000+ on a car(SLK350 with options), where as the SLK200 with options is still around the £30000 mark which people will go to.Also there is the fule consumption - the insurance which is a couple of hundred pound cheaper on the 200. All these things affect the sales.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Many SLK buyers want the badge and the look of a sports car first and foremost, with performance not very high on the list. If that were not the case, the lower R170 models would not have sold so well as it was not a driver's car by any means. The four cylinder engines were underwhelming in many ways and the steering feel and handling inferior to Japanese convertibles at half the price. The thing that Mercedes-Benz have really got right with the R171 is that these customers are still catered for, but so are other potential buyers who want a proper sports car complete with performance and handling, who would have previously gone elsewhere. However, it will take time for many of them to realise that the new car is so much better than the old one.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Shry, What spec do you have on your Car?
Command and AMG kit at the price would have to be a must. Would you spend £35k on a second hand Car which was not fully loaded?
Please let me know, I plan to be in a simmilar position myself soon..

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anthony,

I am afraid no Command or AMG and I see your point though:

I think Command was a must have that I didn't get as I wouldn't have used it enough to warrant £2k as an extra: but I see that it is an important extra.

Silver / Red Leather
Sports Suspension
Parktronik
Roof key operation
Heated Seats
6CD Changer
Shallow boot tub tray with luggage nets

Had a couple of viewers over the weekend - lets see what happens!

Sunday Times had about 6 350's and none of them were below £37995...

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
I spent over £46k on my 350, beggining to worry now...eeeeks

AMG
Command
Bi Zenons
Harmon Karden
Leather/Metallic
Auto

Chose most of the stuff for a good resale, hope I did good...

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will keep you guys updated on progress on my car.

I test drove the AMG - and I am even more desperate top sell mine and get my 55AMG...

Even bigger depreciaition!!!!

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Generally money spent on options is money you won't see most of again come resale time. The only exceptions are usually automatic gearboxes, metallic paint and leather upholstery. With most other options, you will only get a fraction of the cost back, although it will make it easier to sell against cars of a lower spec which are a similar price. For example, COMAND is nearly £2K new but it won't add more than £500 to the value of a used car. The important thing with options is to buy them for you to use, not to add value, because usually they don't make a lot of difference to the value.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I agree with Steve, I never added an option to any car that I ordered with resale in mind. The only criterion for me is whether I want the option for myself.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Duo-Art - 5/17/2005 6:49 AM

I agree with Steve, I never added an option to any car that I ordered with resale in mind. The only criterion for me is whether I want the option for myself.
]

I agree with Steve and Duo-Art, further I never bought a CAR with resale in mind.

·
Registered
350 SLK
11 Posts
hi,all. i brought a loaded 350 for my wifes wedding present,after only 4 months she wanted another audi tt,like she had previously. the 350 cost about 42.5k with only 1000 miles on the clock the mercedes dealer offered me 31k and another one 33k [:(!] in the end the audi dealer gave me 39k, i liked the 350 but the dealers really do take the mickey. best of luck !!!!

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
I have to say that the residuals of the 350 here in the UK seem to be under a great deal of pressure. I'm very pleased I'm the owner of a decently specced 200 auto, which cost £32500. Thing is it looks £35000 of car all day long and I'm confident that in another 12 months i'll be able to sell it privately for £27500, which makes for excellent residuals. Yep here in the UK there are ALOT of people who don't need breakneck speed, but are happy with a car that looks identical, does much better MPG, costs alot less to insure and costs alot less to buy. The 350 sure is a nice car, but 5-6k is ALOT for an engine.

Still any of us who buy new cars for investments are on a no hoper....enjoy your cars, you're a long time dead.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
mrdeli - 5/19/2005 8:43 PM

Still any of us who buy new cars for investments are on a no hoper....enjoy your cars, you're a long time dead.
I'm keeping mine forever! - by the time the 30 year breakdown.bodywork warranty runs out, I'll probably be pushing up daisies (and I'm not even 50 yet !!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts