Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone updated museum Mororola analog phone with anything new? I just found this web site http://www.mbenznl.com/products/phones/
Anybody knows about the price or if this works and how easy is to install it?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
lasicm1 - 4/23/2005 2:30 AM

Has anyone updated museum Mororola analog phone with anything new? I just found this web site http://www.mbenznl.com/products/phones/
Anybody knows about the price or if this works and how easy is to install it?
It depends on the country of installation as the parts tend to be in different places but that doesnt alter the final result.

It is something I recommend and I think it would be an advantage if you plan to use the car long term. (more than 2 years considering some owners)

There are more phone choices coming out each year.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
You don't say what kind of car you have, but if it has a D2B fiber optic bus you may also want to consider a MikBox. The UHI/MHI and MikBox each has its own advantages, and the merits of each have been pretty well covered in this forum and in MB World. See http://www.mikbox.com and http://forums.mbnz.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317 for more info.

Lots of folks have dealt with Steve at MBenzNL and with MIK, and have been satisfied.

To upgrade an analog phone for use with a MikBox, you would have to replace the PSE and likely some antenna components. The second link I provided has many links to sites that can give you additional information.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
In my humble opinion - I think UHI's limit you to a single cell device/model/brand due to the cradle and for the cost may not be worth it. So you have to think what phone you see yourself with for the near future before you take the plunge...

On the other hand have you seen this thread?:
http://events.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201400&posts=5&fid=19

I tried calling & emailing http://www.connects2usa.com since the post with no response AT ALL!! Hope that doesn't speak for their credibility too. However, Should this be a viable workable solution it would be THE BEST as bluetooth would support most/multiple driver bluetooth enabled cellular devices. Even T-Mobile HP iPAQs i'm guessing.

Here's what it does:
https://www.connects2usa.com/products.php?id=17

On the same topic ~ WoW Check This Out:
http://www.connects2usa.com/argos.html

Forum Gods like Skylaw, Frank etc may wanna chime in...

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
tcflya - 4/26/2005 10:01 AM

In my humble opinion - I think UHI's limit you to a single cell device/model/brand due to the cradle and for the cost may not be worth it. So you have to think what phone you see yourself with for the near future before you take the plunge...
The alternatives to original equipment are the same for all cars not just Mercedes - a non-mercedes setup is for ALL CARS. After buying a W220 I dont imagine that UHI rewiring is going to be an issue but finding someone who will do it .... perhaps moreso.

Dont forget that Mercedes are conservative for a reason. Its the mobile phone companies that keep changing their minds.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
Hi, TC - definitely no forum god (or any other kind) here - but thanks for your research.

Of course, right now we can see only the web posts for both of these units.

The Parrot units seem to be plug-ins and add-ons with no COMAND integration, no instrument cluster readout, and only partial audio and steering wheel control integration. I wouldn't care for such a setup. You can buy Bluetooth handsfree units that don't integrate from a number of suppliers - for example, Cingular advertises one for the RAZR V3 (that also doesn't integrate). I don't know if it can be used with other phones (see miroj's cautionary note).

The Argos unit offers more promise - two of its pages promise Mercedes versions by summer, but doesn't yet say for which models. They promise COMAND integration, but of course we don't know for which versions or data buses. So far it's nothing but promise, but I'll be very interested in whether they deliver, and how widely.

The Argos units for BMW retrofits seem to price out about the same as UHI, at least for the initial installation. They seem not to be dependent on a cradle, so perhaps they are a bit more flexible than UHI in easier use of a broader range of phones- but I'll wait until the manufacturer posts more info (and hopefully user manuals and installation guides). And I'll hope that some cell service providers get away from their anti-customer business model of crippling the Bluetooth capability of their phones to serve their "business partners." Right now my Bluetooth-capable Verizon V-710 can't be used with a car unit because Verizon's software cripples that capability (thanks, jerks, that's one reason why I'll quit your service as soon as I can integrate a RAZR or a successor).

I'd love to be able to use a RAZR V3 with a fully integrated Bluetooth car unit. Will keep watching the Argos development to see if it comes though. And I'll stay in touch with MIK.

Thanks again for your work.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got in touch with Mik and he offered me a feasable solution for my S430,2000. Since I hate Motorola or any flip-top phone I have an idea that I would like your opinion about. I was thinking about having 2 SIM cards for one phone number and to keep Motorola constantly plugged in my car, carry Nokia out of the car.When I called Cingular they told me to hitchhike, of course. I found this little gadget on e-Bay to clone SIM card http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5190139128&fromMakeTrack=true
Am I going to be able to do this (by using one phone at the time; not bot of them) to avoid switching SIM card back and forth?
Is anyone having any major problems with Mikbox?

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Sky: all the Mercedes -Argos supported models are listed here:
https://www.connects2usa.com/proddetail.php?prod=MercedesBluetooth&PHPSESSID=355ae9f364a6f1addd336374367da5f4
---------------------------
The Argos Mercedes Bluetooth product is compatible with the following Mercedes Benz vehicles:
S Class: 2000-2003
SL Class: 1999-2004 E Class: 199-2002
C Class: 1999-2004
CL Class: 2000-2003
CLK Class: 2000-2004
M Class: mid 1999 – current production
SLK Class: start of production - current production
---------------------------

They have written back to me and told me I will kept on their "to be informed list" when the product is out in summer. Sky I never heard of Cell Providers messing with Bluetooth features on phones. All the bluetooth phones i've had from T-Mobile just about work all and anything.

Have you seen "Andrew Schmidt" posthttp://events.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201400&posts=5&fid=19
He's installed the Argos on a Benz and claims it works!

lasicm1:
I didn't see anywhere on that ebay site where it said you can clone the sim. Let me know if it works!

I've waited this long for a decent solution, that would allow "any and multiple device" connectivity with full comand integration - I think i'll wait this one out and give it a shot! My wife occasionally uses the car and with the Argos her Bluetooth cell will also Sync. That's one feature request to Argos which would be nice is the ability to have profiles if needed. While MIK & Steve's solutions are existing workable solutions the being tied to the cradle type makes me want to wait.

Thanks for all your responses.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought this one on e-Bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43450&item=7511367663&rd=1
It says that you can copy/write SIM card. I'll let you know.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
tcflya - 4/27/2005 1:56 PM

Sky I never heard of Cell Providers messing with Bluetooth features on phones. All the bluetooth phones i've had from T-Mobile just about work all and anything.

Have you seen "Andrew Schmidt" posthttp://events.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201400&posts=5&fid=19
He's installed the Argos on a Benz and claims it works!
TC, thanks for the model info. I'd like to see one of the units, and how full its integration is. The promise is pretty good, if it's fulfilled.

Motorola designed a fairly nice Bluetooth phone in the V710. Verizon's software severely cripples the Bluetooth capability. You can't synch it with a computer (without hacking it, which some have done), and it can't be used with a car's bluetooth unit. The only BT capability they allow is a headset - which, when used in a car with integrated audio/phone, is completely useless. The purpose was to limit use of many features of the phone to downloading from Verizon's "busines pirates" - sorry, partners. There is discussion on phone sites as to whether disabling the car mating capability was intentional. There is a lawsuit filed over Verizon's crippling the phone.

Even most of the Motorola Phone Tools suite is disabled on a Verizon V710. I wasted $60 on it - but one contributor has told me that I can select a particular setup of the phone (in Setup/Config General Setup, Comm tab, Device Config, choose Detect Driver from list, and choose V710M for the modem type, rather than V710) to enable Phone Tools. If I have missed a step, all I can say is follow the Phone Tools instructions for setting configuration.

I have read speculation - and so far it is only that - that Cingular may do the same thing with the RAZR V3 - I hope that isn't going to be the case.

There are some V710 variants that I understand aren't limited - but I don't know if verizon will activate them - and of course its CDMA network isn't a type used by many providers.

The Andrew Schmidt post I read said he had come across the Argos device on the connects2usa site, but I didn't see that he had installed one (at least in a Mercedes). If he has, I'd love to see a writeup on it.

It will be interesting, and I will keep watching. Thanks for your interest!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
lasicm1 - 4/27/2005 12:42 AM
I found this little gadget on e-Bay to clone SIM card http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5190139128&fromMakeTrack=true
Am I going to be able to do this (by using one phone at the time; not bot of them) to avoid switching SIM card back and forth?
lasicm, I am not expert in cell phones or hacks of them - but the little bit I know is that when your phone is initialized on the provider's network, it supplies an ID number each time it is turned on. The network checks to see if a phone's ID is authorized on the network, and you then get service.

Most providers don't want you to be able to use two phones on the same service number. They want you to get two lines.

I am not certain that the ID number is stored on the SIM card. I cannot speak for all phones, but my V710's ID certainly doesn't store it there (the phone will work entirely without a SIM card, though one can be installed). However, some designs may - so if you are able to "clone" the SIM card, you may or may not have "cloned" the ID number. I am not addressing whether what you get with the SIM reader/writer you bought actually creates a clone.

What you may get is just a copy of your phone book, SMS, wallpapers, etc. transferred from one phone to the other.

Cristian Pellegrini ([email protected]) may be of assistance with the cloning effort. Very knowledgable with regard to phone hacks.

Keep us posted!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
lasicm1 - 4/27/2005 12:42 AM
I have had a MikBox since November 2004 and find it very reliable. No major problems at all, and MIK has been very responsive to e-mailed questions. He travels, which can delay responses, but he works hard to keep up when home. He has been very patient working through some over-the-air update problems I have, but I think that is due to Verizon's crippling capabilities of the V710 I use. Yes, even beyond crippling Bluetooth as discussed above.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
This looks promising and is around the corner

Just got a response from Connects2usa to specific questions I asked ~ Let me know if there are any other questions necessary? : >>

-------------------------------------
When will it be available?
Mercedes product is set to be released May 31st.

What price?
The price is $850

How can I get it and install it asap?
We are currently taking pre-orders. I can put you on the list and let you know when we have it here ready to ship. I need a phone number to complete the pre-order. Installation is easy. It is designed as a do-it-yourself install utilizing the pre-wiring of the mercedes. It will come with installation instructions and a number for tech support if you have problems. You could also take it with instructions to your dealership and they should be able to do it in about 30-45 minutes.

What phones will it support or is it any bluetooth phone?
It is set up to work with any bluetooth phone. There are some phones we havent been able to test with yet, but given that technology is the same for most of the bluetooth phones, we are pretty certain you will not have a problem integrating the phone. What you choose is largely dependent on what your phone carrier has available and supports more than the kit itself.

---------------------------------------------

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a dilemma. Should I buy Mot cable and be able to hook up almost any Motorola
phone or hang-up cup for specific phone or phone group?
If i understood well, you can't use antenna without hang-up cup.How good is that
car antenna and how much do I lose if I don't insall it, living in urban area? Also
some hang-up cups can be unplugged as used as cable only. Do you know of any Motorola
not flip-top phone that can be used with antenna?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,914 Posts
Buy the hangup cup. You are correct that without it, you will not connect to the car's antenna. But the problem is not signal strength; it is that RF energy from transmissions inside the car can harm electronics in the car. Check your operator's manual - there are several warnings.

When my wife disregarded this, I lost a shift controller module. Another contributor had the same problem. I have read that airbag electronics can be harmed, especially the side sets. I don't know what else - but Mercedes went to a lot of trouble to mount the antenna in the rear bumper, as far away as possible from all that, and with sheet metal between the antenna and the electronics.

I don't know of a non-flip top Motorola.

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
477 Posts
Hi Sky.

Phone installation seems to be totally different to EU version.

The control unit is under the rear seat left and the antenna is a "shark fin" on the rear window. I dont dare to say anything to UHI because its probably different in US versions. ;-)

Hope you guys will soon get GSM a bit more widespread in the country...

Cheers,

Frank

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
BLUETOOTH STATUS UPDATE

https://www.connects2usa.com/products.php?id=18

Status from the Horses Mouth....

"We are teetering on the fence with it. We are to have a prototype by later this week for testing. If it works out well, we are in gear for production. If not, we have t work out glitches with the engineers. So, as of now, we are looking at possibly pushing back a few weeks til mid-June, but that isn’t confirmed yet. Will let you know as soon as I hear more (which is supposed to be later this week)."

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Wanted to update this thread with the latest info i have gotten:

As above, have been Dialoguing with these people for the longest time:
http://www.eiskits.com/documents/Argos%20for%20MB%20Product%20Datasheet%201.4.pdf

Here is the latest correspondence from them as of last week:
--------------------------------------------------
Sent: 12/19/05 9:17:57 AM
We have Version 1 available. It is not opened to every phone yet. Here is what it is compatible with:

Phonebook upload up to 20 entries

Phones that work include the Motorola Razr, Rokr, V600, V551, V300, probably the E815

Phones that work but don't upload the phonebook: All known Blackberries, Motorola MPX220.

Phones that don't work: IPAQ, Treo 650, SE (Sony Ericsson) K700, SE P900, Most Nokias.

If you have any of the phones that do work, we can send you a kit out asap.
Just let me know. If you don't, and have something that is listed in the don't work section, we are expecting V2 software within 3 weeks or so. I am not sure what phones it will include, so I cannot be certain on that until I hear from the engineers with the specs. If you are willing to switch phones to something else that is currently working, then we can get something to you now.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 10:13 AM
You can check out install instructions at our website http://www.aardvarkmm.com
under manuals/downloads. It is all done in the trunk. To me it is pretty
simple, but I have been told that I cannot use that as a standard. So, if
you have an mechanical ability at all, you should be ok for installing it.
I have been told by other S class owners that the hardest part is removing
the paneling to get at the plugs.

You can pair two phones. However, only one will work with the system at a
time. So, if you pair yours first, then each time you turn the car on it
will look for your phone. If you are not there and you wife is with BT
turned on in her phone, it will then look for hers and pair. But, only one
of you at a time can be connected to the car.

Cost is $850 plus $15 shipping/handling. After you review the instructions,
let me know if you have other questions. I am happy to help.

I "MAY" take the plunge on this one, but am still searching for solutions. Please provide feedback if you have or know of anyone who has installed their solution(s)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 S Class 430 owner, new to forum but just installed Argos Integration Kit (AIK) that is Bluetooth compatible. Bought from www.eurocarphone.com for $799 plus shipping. Installed myself with absolutely no problems in about 45 minutes. Just removed 4 bolts and lifted the whole CD, phone, voice activation assembly as one. Unscrewed the bracket holding the PSE (clearly marked by manf), unplugged two wires. Plugged those same two wires into the Argos box and screwed it into place. Dropped the bracket holding the CD, phone, voice activation back in. Tightened the four bolts. Paired the bluetooth with a Razor cell phone and I was finished. I have all features the car originally offered except the cradle charging. I even use the Startac cradle (altered a bit) to hold the Razor when driving. Works great!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts