Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've been moaning and bitchin' with the occasional gremlin, , , ,

but, , ,

with the kind help of rob and heaps of reading tons of interesting and invaluable info here :bowdown: i finally heeded some more good advice from rob and went to pedders for a $14.00 twentyeight point check

faults found (quoted - aud)

front shocks leaking - 379 (yes, they are - albeit a very small leak)

inner and outer tie rod ends - 231

idler - 153

drag link - 202

steering gear - 1005

high pressure line - 180

they also found and will fix no charge : crack in crossmember (weld due to old accident), broken transmission mount and a broken exhaust rubber

i doubt any work of this kind has been done by previous owner and have been told this is all due to wear and tear over a 17 year / 176706km period

all this because of play in the steering wheel and wandering over 80kms?

does this quote look a bit high???

how can i double check that these 'faults' are real and need work on them/replacement???

i recall reading where the steering gear can be adjusted - how do i tell if it needs replacing or just an adjustment?

i have a old friend who is a retired mechanic who may be able to help (with the right inducements lololol) if it doesn't require special equipment

alternatively, i may be calling rob up real soon, to share his mechanic!!!

:surrender:

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
First, I would be finding a good indi MB mechanic - several of those prices are far too high.

The front shocks for example are only about $180 a pair, fitting is easy.

I am sus of Pedders, they are a chain group who like to look for work. I did used to use them for my alignment up on the Sunshine Coast - only because the franchise owner/manager had a 560 SEC so he understood the car.

The steering box for over $1000 is just wrong, I had mine rebuilt late last year for under $500 from my mechanic.

Talk to Rob, the list they have given you may be useful for pointing you in the right direction, but even then I would be sus about it...

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks ross

i expected pedders to be at the top end of the price range for parts and, no doubt they are quoting, rrp not street price

will have a chat with rob early next week and see how busy he is

hope the floods up north haven't caused you and yours too much trouble

best
~m

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
Cascade pointed out that the R107 exhaust rubber hangers are similar to the W126, but are reinforced with a steel belt, and should last longer.
Miki right? Are you guys going to Albert Park for the GP? Hi to Rob.

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
many thanks ross

i expected pedders to be at the top end of the price range for parts and, no doubt they are quoting, rrp not street price

will have a chat with rob early next week and see how busy he is

hope the floods up north haven't caused you and yours too much trouble

best
~m
I am sus of Pedders because I have had them quote me unnecessary work in the past and bad advice (telling me I needed new shocks when they were Bilsteins with less than 5000kms on them), until I met the aforementioned owner/manager.

We have just had lots of rain - the floods have been a good 7-800 kms north of us but bad all the same...

There has got to be some good, honest MB indi's in MEL...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts