Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want bigger rims for my car coming this spring and I just can't figure this out on my own. I've searched the forum and just can't make sense out of it all. So, could someone break it down for me please? I got the bolt pattern down, 5 x 112, but get totally confused on the offset. I found this set on eBay and was thinking something similar to these or maybe these, they are off a 95 c220. Any help would be great. Thanks!!!!

eBay Motors: (4) Mercedes Benz 15 inch Wheels and tires (item 260327494117 end time Dec-08-08 07:03:29 PST)

·
Registered
167 Posts
First of all you need to make sure that the actual tire diameter of what you end up with is the same as what you have now or gearing and speedo errors will result. Use this:

Tire size calculator

Offset - offset is often (but not always) determined by clearances on the inside of the rim. If you go with a wider wheel you should adjust the offset by the difference in width (this keeps the inside of the rim at the same position). Example: if stock 6.5" rim has a 30mm offset and you want a 7" rim, look for a 42mm offset rim.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Offset is the key here. The rims need to be able to clear the tie rod ends with out rubbing the fender on the front.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
offset key

I went though past post on what member's said they run and what is factory etc... and made a chart. I didn't bother with tire size you can use a tire size calculator for that. front is for both front and rear while rear was staggered.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I found rims. They have the 5x112 bolt pattern and are 37mm offset, will they work on my 300? I checked a tire size calculator and it tells me that 205/55/16's are equal to the stock 195/70/14's. Is this all correct?

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, I found rims. They have the 5x112 bolt pattern and are 37mm offset, will they work on my 300? I checked a tire size calculator and it tells me that 205/55/16's are equal to the stock 195/70/14's. Is this all correct?
The piece you are missing is the width of the rims (to see if the offset is correct). The tire size looks good (if you have wide enough rims for the 205 width - 6.5 or wider should be fine).

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the offset did not change but the width grew an inch, the inside would be a half inch closer and so would the outside. Since you moved the center outboard by 7mm (1/4") that puts the rim about 1/4" closer to the suspension components on the inside and 3/4" closer to the fender on the outside than stock. It should work.

Only you can tell for sure. Feel around with the wheel cranked one way then the other with your stock setup. Your finger should be about a half inch and should fit in anywhere or you are in trouble.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's crazy, you read on here about people running 8" rims. I'm actually looking at pics of a several of them. I'll check the clearance with the stock rims and see what I got, if I can afford that space. Is there anywhere online where I can get a good visual on how the offset looks?

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
W202 8 hole wheels with the small lip will require spacers to work in a w123.

A 16x7 wheel will fit the front but will need stick on balancers, if the offset is 37mm. Rears will require shorter lugs I believe, to prevent the original lugs hitting the brake drums.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

A 16x7 wheel will fit the front but will need stick on balancers, if the offset is 37mm. Rears will require shorter lugs I believe, to prevent the original lugs hitting the brake drums.
Yep, and rule of thumb on W123's is that if the offset is 30mm or greater then a hubcentric spacer is required.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I don't know what W202 8 holes are, or the balancers. Can you further explain this? Here are the wheels I'm looking at buying.

eBay Motors: Mercedes Benz 16" Wheels Rims for Winter Tires (item 260335964183 end time Dec-28-08 08:21:42 PST)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen those rims, just didn't know the name. They are nice, perhaps I'll see if I can find a set of those. So, would the wheels that I linked work? They are 16 x 7, 5 x 112, 37 mm. I'll need spacers? What size? Do I need them on all four wheels?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
When I went to the flat bundts on my 126, I measured from the back to find the offset. Yes, you'll need four, and longer lug bolts.
I have yet to find hub centrics that fit on the front, so I had a machine shop enlarge the centers, and JB welded 'em on the wheels. I also had the machine shop make a locator bolt, just a correct thread bolt, with the hex head removed, so you can screw it in to the wheel, slip on the tire, install the other lug bolts, take the locator out, and replace with the last lug bolt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
205/55/R16 on 16" rims with a 37mm offset are what I run on my Passat. Are you looking at VW/Audi wheels?

IIRC, the Mercedes uses 12mm lugs rather than the 14mm of the VW. I'll do a little driveway testing tomorrow to see if it's a straight swap. If I get them on OK, I'll check and see if they rub while I'm at it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
205/55/R16 on 16" rims with a 37mm offset are what I run on my Passat. Are you looking at VW/Audi wheels?

IIRC, the Mercedes uses 12mm lugs rather than the 14mm of the VW. I'll do a little driveway testing tomorrow to see if it's a straight swap. If I get them on OK, I'll check and see if they rub while I'm at it.
That be great! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts