Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm designing my U500 camper and I need to know the U500 dimensions. I haven't found anything that will show me how high the bed is in relation to the height of the roof. I know the roof is 115in so if I had the height of the bed I would know how tall my camper can be. I want to limit it to the height of the cab so I can go just about anywhere. Thanks in advance. I red the bed is 135in X 89in. hope that's correct.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hang on here. You are designing a U500 camper, but have no idea what the dimensions are for the U500? Are you designing a camper for a hoped for U500 someday? Why not walk out into the work shop and measure what you've got? I can't tell you how many times I have been mislead by corporate data. Not sure where you are going here, but I'd suggest ignoring the cut sheets on the mog and look at what you own. Been burn't, that's all. Or you are overly optimistic to build a camper and hope the mog will come

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i'll check it out.
Hang on here. You are designing a U500 camper, but have no idea what the dimensions are for the U500? Are you designing a camper for a hoped for U500 someday? Why not walk out into the work shop and measure what you've got? I can't tell you how many times I have been mislead by corporate data. Not sure where you are going here, but I'd suggest ignoring the cut sheets on the mog and look at what you own. Been burn't, that's all. Or you are overly optimistic to build a camper and hope the mog will come
No this is for my future mog. I'm just trying to get an idea of size to see if this is doable for my family size. I wont build anything until the mog is home. I'm saving so depending on how business goes it may be sooner than later. Just planning ahead.

Anyone have an dimensions for a typical mog kitchen or bathroom. I'm kinda estimating one off of my boats interior dimesnions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hallo Mr 355!
have a look at Darrin Fink's website.Unicat is also great,but super expensive.I have built a camper on a 416,but for two people(about 3.2 meter long by 2.1)kitchen,shower/toilet,table that drops down to become double bunk and cupboards.
For roof height,if you are tall,it is going to be a "pop out" roof.
happy hunting
jc

·
Registered
790 Posts
Normally a custom built camper box for a vehicle like a U500 is mounted on the frame on a torsion-free mount, forget about the cargo bed. If you a tie a nice $200,000 custom box into a bed with 4 tight rigid mounts, it will be ripped to shreds by twisting most likely.
The roof of my Unicat camper is 11'3" = 135" off the ground.
Also look at Global Expedition Vehicles.

Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hallo Mr 355!
have a look at Darrin Fink's website.Unicat is also great,but super expensive.I have built a camper on a 416,but for two people(about 3.2 meter long by 2.1)kitchen,shower/toilet,table that drops down to become double bunk and cupboards.
For roof height,if you are tall,it is going to be a "pop out" roof.
happy hunting
jc
You don't happen to have a link to Darrin's website do you? Mine's definitely going to have to have a pop up roof something like the GXV Pangea I think it's called.
Normally a custom built camper box for a vehicle like a U500 is mounted on the frame on a torsion-free mount, forget about the cargo bed. If you a tie a nice $200,000 custom box into a bed with 4 tight rigid mounts, it will be ripped to shreds by twisting most likely.
The roof of my Unicat camper is 11'3" = 135" off the ground.
Also look at Global Expedition Vehicles.

Charlie
Yeah I realize the mounts will have to have flex in them so the box wont be torn apart. I know Unicat and GXV are the go to guys for the big money projects. I could eventually afford one but if I feel like alot of what you are buying is the name. Doesn't anyone else in the US build quality custon stuff at a decent price? How about Europe and have it shipped over?

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi
just google Darrin Fink,he's got a nice website and go to his unimog page.On it there is a site where he build a mog camper.If i remember correct,his address is a radio call sign,but Darrin Fink will do

·
Registered
790 Posts
. I know Unicat and GXV are the go to guys for the big money projects. I could eventually afford one but if I feel like alot of what you are buying is the name. Doesn't anyone else in the US build quality custon stuff at a decent price? How about Europe and have it shipped over?
With all due respect, I think you have a lot to learn.
GXV is undercutting Unicat to the point where even non-North Americans are dealing with them. Yes there are builders that are cheaper but their products have a tendency to fall apart. AFAIK they are out of business (that Polish photographer with the Fuso box he got in California??).
Building a Unimog sized camper is NOT a cheap proposition.
And for that matter owning a U500 isn't a cheap proposition.Do you know for instance that the crankcase takes over 30 qts of synthetic oil?

Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GXV is undercutting Unicat to the point where even non-North Americans are dealing with them. Yes there are builders that are cheaper but their products have a tendency to fall apart. AFAIK they are out of business (that Polish photographer with the Fuso box he got in California??).
And for that matter owning a U500 isn't a cheap proposition.Do you know for instance that the crankcase takes over 30 qts of synthetic oil?

Charlie
Yes I realize this is a learning curve for me which is why I am asking questions. I guess if GXV is a good product at a fair price i'll check them out. I'm not too worried about the maintenance. I come from owning Boats and Ferraris so i'm used to it. I just don't like to waste money if i don't have to.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi

To a small extent you are also asking how long is a piece of string.

Whatever maximum height you want to aim at that would be empty of camper fluids but full of everything else, so loaded for long term travel but the lightest and so tallest it will be.

My truck is rated at 12 tons, is actually 9.5 tons, and the bed is 1300mm up. A 14 ton max. but unladen U2150 I looked at was 1400 up behind the cab and 1500mm at the rear of the bed, all on 395 tyres. So the linked to info page saying 1542mm on 365 tyres is a starting point, but if your loaded camper makes it sink by 150mm thats extra space inside your camper you could have made use of if you knew the sinkage before you started :)

Also remember roof height won't be final height, as solar will add a little, and our extractor fans add at least 100mm. On an Alaskan for instance there is no room to add a fan like that on a wall because of overlap when unpopped (I asked them), so ceiling it is.

Our truck is also a little harsh at the front on corrugations, softer springs would be good. A U500 will be even stiffer, and your camper may be lighter than mine, giving even more leeway, so would you want softer springs if you ended up at 10 tons fighting weight, with what effect on height? (Before Charlie says you will end up at max GVW anyway because of how many kitchen sinks he always carries ;) )

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi

To a small extent you are also asking how long is a piece of string.

Whatever maximum height you want to aim at that would be empty of camper fluids but full of everything else, so loaded for long term travel but the lightest and so tallest it will be.

My truck is rated at 12 tons, is actually 9.5 tons, and the bed is 1300mm up. A 14 ton max. but unladen U2150 I looked at was 1400 up behind the cab and 1500mm at the rear of the bed, all on 395 tyres. So the linked to info page saying 1542mm on 365 tyres is a starting point, but if your loaded camper makes it sink by 150mm thats extra space inside your camper you could have made use of if you knew the sinkage before you started :)

Also remember roof height won't be final height, as solar will add a little, and our extractor fans add at least 100mm. On an Alaskan for instance there is no room to add a fan like that on a wall because of overlap when unpopped (I asked them), so ceiling it is.

Our truck is also a little harsh at the front on corrugations, softer springs would be good. A U500 will be even stiffer, and your camper may be lighter than mine, giving even more leeway, so would you want softer springs if you ended up at 10 tons fighting weight, with what effect on height? (Before Charlie says you will end up at max GVW anyway because of how many kitchen sinks he always carries ;) )

Yeah I had forgotten to factor in sag. Good thinking. What i'm wondering is do I really need to limit it to 3.3M or about 10ft like I am thinking. I have heard many parts of the world have underpasses this low.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mr Spider
you are sitting with a nice problem,one where you can dream about a lot of places to visit,and what your needs will be,we can write books about that one(i prefer sitting around a fire with whiskey and talk it out with friends)
take a note pad(the old pen and paper tipe!) and write down your needs.As some body mentioned here,you can take the kichen sink along,BUT do you need it?
What do you need?For how many people?do you have kids?Are they always going to travel with you? Then,where do you plan to travel(here in Africa where i live and travel,cold is not our problem,but heat(aircon or not)Off the grid living.big house batteries,solar power,small gensets.Your double bed becomes the dining table.We do most of our living outside the vehicle in the bush,so,a nice awning.you will need a nice fridge freezer(National Luna makes a nice one,74 liters double lid,bullet proof unit-12,24,220 volt) i can go on and on,tell me if you want to be bored to death by me!?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Tom Sheppards book is well worth a read if you can get it, although it covers many approaches. Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide, Edn 2.2
ISBN 978-0-9532324-7-5

And this is the best book of its type that I've found, not huge or totally up to the minute but very good, general stuff plus his build for two people with bed, lounge and shower room in 4m length Travelvans

If your family in a Doka need to use a roof rack too then camper flush with cab is a waste?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr Spider
you are sitting with a nice problem,one where you can dream about a lot of places to visit,and what your needs will be,we can write books about that one(i prefer sitting around a fire with whiskey and talk it out with friends)
take a note pad(the old pen and paper tipe!) and write down your needs.As some body mentioned here,you can take the kichen sink along,BUT do you need it?
What do you need?For how many people?do you have kids?Are they always going to travel with you? Then,where do you plan to travel(here in Africa where i live and travel,cold is not our problem,but heat(aircon or not)Off the grid living.big house batteries,solar power,small gensets.Your double bed becomes the dining table.We do most of our living outside the vehicle in the bush,so,a nice awning.you will need a nice fridge freezer(National Luna makes a nice one,74 liters double lid,bullet proof unit-12,24,220 volt) i can go on and on,tell me if you want to be bored to death by me!?
Lol I guess this of the modern version of that minus the fire and whiskey. Thanks for the offer of help. We'll soon be a family of six. Kids will travel with us. My wife is Brazilian so lots will be in south America. We plan on Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Asia, Europe, skip middle east, Iceland, etc. We camp alot. In the sub freezing sometimes. Always rent so an rv is considered sissy camping in our family but I guess we'll have to make this exception.
Tom Sheppards book is well worth a read if you can get it, although it covers many approaches. Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide, Edn 2.2
ISBN 978-0-9532324-7-5

And this is the best book of its type that I've found, not huge or totally up to the minute but very good, general stuff plus his build for two people with bed, lounge and shower room in 4m length Travelvans

If your family in a Doka need to use a roof rack too then camper flush with cab is a waste?

excellent I'll look for the book.

This vehicle is also my get out of dodge, zombie apocalypse vehicle if I ever need one.

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
I'm designing my U500 camper and I need to know the U500 dimensions. I haven't found anything that will show me how high the bed is in relation to the height of the roof. I know the roof is 115in so if I had the height of the bed I would know how tall my camper can be. I want to limit it to the height of the cab so I can go just about anywhere. Thanks in advance. I red the bed is 135in X 89in. hope that's correct.
If you want a PRESICE drawing of the u500 and haven't tracked one down, l have it.

I am not sure if your computer will view it though. It is CAD.
I have the 230 model only.
It will be the ticket, especially if you are an engineer or know of one.

The illustrations are both sides, front and back. It also shows from the bottom. There are also 7 other illustrations. Because it is CAD, isolating any specific area, part and the ability to zoom is absolutely incredible. Call it HIGHLY detailed blue prints.
Picture is all in black, and the lines and measurements are all in vivid colours.

Let me know if you still need it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
U500 Camper Comments

Charlie
Hey Charlie. You are correct on this. As you guys may know, we just completed camping with a set of U500 guys. One had a GXV camper. That camper had, in my personal opinion, had a critical design flaw. Their mounting of the camper box (which was really nice) to the frame allowed way too much left-right travel when doing bumps. It was whipping back and forth with each rut. Part of the issue was having a 300# tire/wheel combo mounted near the roof so the camper looked like a metronome. The other part is the actual mounting mechanism. They used a rubber puck setup that has already been proven to fail in hard use (See whiteacorn.com for photos and details of the failure in Siberia). Charlie is correct that the Unicat and Mercedes stock bed mounting is the only approach that works in hard use.

Pickering and I spent substantial time in designing the sub-frame for Thor that would allow large amounts of frame flexure. See Part 3: Frame Attachment and Articulation Test 20100928 for some photos of the design and the testing.

This mount has been trail-tested, so we have confidence in it. If you short-sheet this element of your design, you can expect to be like Rob/Nina Blackwell, broken down at the side of the trail.

As to the cost of operation of a U500, I have no experience for an opinion, so I will defer to Charlie who has had/used his truck for years.

How many miles have you logged Charlie?

bc and K

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have about 61500 mi/1670 hrs.
Last week we took a little trip up the Dalton Hwy over Atigun Pass to Toolik lake. Temps were >70 F. Mosquitoes were swarming - killed 5-10 per swat!
The hwy was in good condition as usual, gravel portions smoother than paved due to lack of frost heaves.
Today we are going to Northway village to go to nephew's wedding tomorrow.
One of the expenses in owning a U500 is having an array of spare parts like a comprehensive collection of seals, and even portal bearings, U-joints, brake parts, etc due to no more parts supply at Freightliner/Detroit Diesel except for engine parts. I got my latest parts box from Merex.
Incidentally, I have a mounted spare mounted high on the back and 2 unmounted used spares (about 200 lb each due to wear) on the roof. Despite that I don't have too bad rocking on ruts, due to the "double triangle"/trunnion mounting system Unicat uses and MB recommends.

Charlie

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have about 61500 mi/1670 hrs.
Last week we took a little trip up the Dalton Hwy over Atigun Pass to Toolik lake. Temps were >70 F. Mosquitoes were swarming - killed 5-10 per swat!
The hwy was in good condition as usual, gravel portions smoother than paved due to lack of frost heaves.
Today we are going to Northway village to go to nephew's wedding tomorrow.
One of the expenses in owning a U500 is having an array of spare parts like a comprehensive collection of seals, and even portal bearings, U-joints, brake parts, etc due to no more parts supply at Freightliner/Detroit Diesel except for engine parts. I got my latest parts box from Merex.
Incidentally, I have a mounted spare mounted high on the back and 2 unmounted used spares (about 200 lb each due to wear) on the roof. Despite that I don't have too bad rocking on ruts, due to the "double triangle"/trunnion mounting system Unicat uses and MB recommends.

Charlie

Passed you on the highway near Glennallen yesterday. I was headed back to work in Valdez with my 416L DOKA. Nice looking rig you have, packed full of kids it looked like. lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts