Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congratulations on the nice Unimog.:) Did you have to prebook to cross with the motor vehicle at the U.S. side or were they all happy with you just showing up? I was told that at some crossings with motorized vehicles they prefer if you let them know ahead of time you were coming. :eek: Did you cross at Coutts?

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Congratulations on the nice Unimog.:) Did you have to prebook to cross with the motor vehicle at the U.S. side or were they all happy with you just showing up? I was told that at some crossings with motorized vehicles they prefer if you let them know ahead of time you were coming. :eek: Did you cross at Coutts?
48hours is the "official" minimum notice that has to be given to the CBSA.

OT a bit, but Can you drive around with that Apache processor on the 3-poiint hitch ? Or is it meant to be stationnnary i.e use only the PTO of the tractor ?

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,271 Posts
Ah, cool, well if you want to go wheeling, send me a PM.

I drive my truck all the time. I was in Edmonton Saturday pulling an F150 out of the ditch.

My truck has a "Claas" Overdrive. I've seen the combines in the fields around here, is it the same company I wonder?

In any event, I'd love to check out your mog in person sometime.

-Trev

Done. Added myself to the mog map.
I sure hope I find the time to do more with this mog than just work, however work is the main objective here. Going to use the 3-point hitch on a Apache log cutter/splitter for firewood first. Will need to add a lower tractor style hitch for my next implement, a grain bagger and then for next winter a front mounted 3-point hitch for the snow blower.
So lots of projects all around work :(, however I am sure I will have some fun with it too. Are you taking your "Feuerwehr" mog anywhere? It sure looks like it's in perfect shape!
Claas is a big combine maker (besides other agriculture equipment and some special automotive parts) and has an assembly facility in Omaha, NE. My next combine is manufactured there.

·
Registered
Unimog U1200 full ag specs, CLK500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Notice times

Just a quick comment on the notification times:
The US side requires 72 h notice!
Canada requires no notice, I was told to just show up.
This may be different at whatever crossing you use, I suggest you give them a call. I used Portal, SK

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,271 Posts
Same experience, 3 days notice, each crossing is independent and only follows guidelines. Some require the ORIGINAL doc's fex-ex'd some will take a copy, fax, ect. Some are open 24 hours, some are not. Always best to call well in advance and have your ducks in a row.

I had to provide written testimony that the vehicle did not have A/C to avoid extra charges.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Just a quick comment on the notification times:
The US side requires 72 h notice!
Canada requires no notice, I was told to just show up.
This may be different at whatever crossing you use, I suggest you give them a call. I used Portal, SK
I stand corrected, 72 hours is what I meant. Brain fart

·
Registered
1990 Unimog 1300L, 2004 ML350, 1999 SLK 230,
579 Posts
I had read somewhere that vehicles over 25 years would be duty free. Apparently not :-(, paid my 6.1% duty on the truck.

I guess it must depend on what border crossing you use, because I didn't pay any duty on my 1990 U1300L that I imported in 2009.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
I guess it must depend on what border crossing you use, because I didn't pay any duty on my 1990 U1300L that I imported in 2009.
I paid the trifecta of the 2 taxes (13.5%) + 6.5% duties. Mine came on a boat FWIW

I did get the taxes back since I bought it through a company I own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Duty

All depends on the HST number you used. Do you still have your import papers?
What HST number was used? Was it declared as a truck or tractor?
Tractors are duty free.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
All depends on the HST number you used. Do you still have your import papers?
What HST number was used? Was it declared as a truck or tractor?
Tractors are duty free.
I used a broker, they said pay this, pay that, I did. I'm fine with it. Don't worry. I was saying what I paid as taxes for the truck just for the record. Worst case, Revenue Canada owes me. Remember that they have 7 years to come back after you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I brought an old horse trailer up a couple of years ago and only had to pay the gst. Crossed at Portal as well. I believe the gst was paid on the Canadian value even thought the trailer was paid for with US dollars. It made for an odd amount but in the end it was 5%.

·
Registered
2002 range rover p38
7 Posts
what did the duty fee end up costing you?
also what di you end up paying you your truck and it is a nice one

patrick

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Maybe he saw the U500 's listed for under $70k.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
U1200

Sorry missed a few notifications!
No nothing wrong with my U1200, just wondering what the Alberta market is like. I would sell for that price and then bring another one in from Germany. I have family in Germany and my dad spends about 5 month there (retired). I would be able to import more mogs if it makes sense :).

Duty: Paid 6.1% for a truck import

Latest: My U1200 passed "out of province" inspection and now is a Alberta registered truck :).

The U500's. I did check them out even before I bought my U1200. To me it looked like they were not well maintained at all. Oil leaks, rost etc.
Run on back country oil lease roads all their life...

Johannes

·
Registered
1985 mercedes benz 300 turbo diesel
17 Posts
Hi, I am importing A Vw lt28.can I get temporary plates to drive tha car from Halifax to Toronto? Thanks

41 - 58 of 58 Posts