Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1700L (435 series)
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
U1700L Dash Indicators

Anyone know who makes the indicator lenses? All mine are old and illegible. I'm trying to bring the vehicle up to new.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trev.
I've sent out quote requests. Obviously I would have liked to go to the original manufacturer when possible, but it often takes a lot of detective work to track these down.

BULBS:
I am now working through the warning lamps and considering value for money, found:
- The 24V 2W 9mm x 21mm lamps varied from about $8 each (and much more) to the more normative price from Farnell for about 55c. I purchased 20 by PHILIPS 13913 24V 2W T2W BA9s at $1 each including free shipping on ebay. Note: There are many subtle varients is size, length and wattage. It is critical to not exceed the wattage as the holder will melt, and if too long, will obstruct the front lens.
- The triple window alarm module takes CM7632 bulbs. I did not find any sensible priced versions on the internet, so I simply paid the rip-off ~$5 each (typically about 50c).
- For the gear indicator lamps I ordered T5 1 LED Lamp B8.5D 24v green LED versions at about 50c each free delivery. Note: LED's are very pure spectrum, so a white LED has very little green or blue or red or yellow etc. With LED's it is therefore critical to use the right colour emitter. White LEDs will not look at all right, when behind coloured lenses (it will have a weak washed out colour).

General note: Not all electronic drivers can properly power LED lamps. Some electronics needs the load of an incandescent lamp, so be aware.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
104 Posts
Hi Jason,
I am about to start the same task. Did you find a supplier for the lenses? Mine are all scratched, broken, etc. I am also looking for a few blanks.

Cheers
Andre

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Andre. No. I ended up buying second hand from Unidan at $5.50 each. They are not like new, but better than what I had. One option might be to send them to an engraver to re-paint fill ?

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
104 Posts
I wonder if they are some kind of standard, that I could get without the print on it?

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
104 Posts
Jason,
did you replace the bulbs with LEDs in the warning lights? does that work fine with the dash light dimmer?

Cheers
Andre

·
Registered
Unimogs
864 Posts
A majority of the lenses are readily available new for about $3.25 each. If you use the search on our site and use "lense" most come up. Then it's just a matter of tracking down the part numbers for the others....... Picture is of the ones I know are in stock currently.......
Lenses.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks expedition imports. That's great to know. By the way, do you have an diff air locker decal for the pneumatic switch on the dash?

Andre, For dash warning lights, I just stuck with the standard Philips incandescent bulbs. As the fit is so tight, I could not be bothered trying to find an LED equivalent. I did change the gear shift lever indicator bulbs to green LED. Makes a big difference. If you do change to LED bulbs, you will need to select the appropriate colour, do not use white LED bulbs where you have coloured lenses. The reason: LED light is a very pure light spectrum and white LED light has very little colour in it. Also some LED bulbs are polarity sensitive.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
104 Posts
Jason,
I need one of those Locker Control Decal as well. Do you wanna team up to save international shipping, currency conversation etc?

Cheers
Andre

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Andre, I saw the buy price and I consider it reasonable, but then the postal price (5 times the item cost for a small sticker that will fit in an envelope with some cardboard to protect it) ruined the thought. All too hard for a sticker, sorry.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,180 Posts
You can't get them from your local dealer? I buy/have bought a ton (literally!) of Unimog and Gwagon parts right at the local dealer, no postage, duty, or handling, just the price of the part (which usually works out same or cheaper) and pickup in 7-10 days shipped right from Germany.

All the lenses are listed in the EPC by the way, I can get you crappy B&W "parts" diagram pictures if you wish.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
104 Posts
Getting anything from overseas means paying a lot extra here. I will let you all know how much they quote me.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,180 Posts
I believe the hieroglyph is depicting cleaning out the air filter with compressed air, but I could be wrong. it's tied to the option order code for "air cleaner maintenance indicator in cab"

NOTE that I used a 427.112 for the part numbers, your numbers might differ, best to use your VIN when ordering replacement parts (the dashes changed somewhat after...'89?)

See item 103 here:

Few more for ya:

103.jpg brakelining.jpg
103.jpg
brakelining.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts