Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
U1300L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Unimog 1300L
The front wheels both tip inwards at the bottom ie have noticable positive camber.
I have heard this is a factory setting on some Mogs but can not find any reason why this would be done.
Can any one provide any info on this subject?
Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
It is quite normal to have positive camber on Unimogs. The axle is built like that to help aid in turning a tight circle in loose soil, it is the same concept as a standard agricultural tractor front axle.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
Its normal.. Every mog I've seen (including my own) is like this.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,404 Posts
I'm sure that it's an optical delusion, but when ever my mog is on flat ground everyone comments on how the drivers side has a lot more camber than the other. I've never actually measured it, and no matter how much I pry or force, nothing moves so I'm sure it just looks like that and nothing is loose or sagging. No reason that I can think of to make each side a different camber. Anyone else think this could be more than visual mis-que?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
I'm also fairly sure that once you load it near GVW, a lot of that will come right out. It's like the old 2002's, to look at them in the lot they were all tippy toed but ring it out and it settles right down.

I suppose advice should include rotate the tires to avoid serious asymmetric wear.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
...when ever my mog is on flat ground everyone comments on how the drivers side has a lot more camber than the other. I've never actually measured it, and no matter how much I pry or force, nothing moves so I'm sure it just looks like that and nothing is loose or sagging.
For the record, same thing with mine

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
You could stick an angle gauge on the wheel with a straightedge across the rim and measure it on each side. Make sure to also measure whether the axle is actually level too, so you can do the math.

If your kingpins or bearings are worn excessively, the wheel should theoretically get closer to zero camber.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
I think that the front camber is also there to align the tire contact patch with the point that the steering axis intersects the ground without resorting to tires with a ridiculous offset to fit the rather large steering knuckles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts