Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am trying to figure out what my options are to get the tray of the truck. (Don’t have crane or forklift)
After taking the floor out and the sides off, what do you think how much would it weigh?

cheers
Andre

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Dual Tanks AC Rigged for Camping Plus: 91 F250 HD 4x4
633 Posts
Based on various known things, I would venture to say circa 500kg, could be a bit less.

Do you have a shop building now? and do you have a reasonable sturdy roof frame? If so;

1) back the truck into the building
2) attach ropes or similar to each of four corners of the tray
3) put ropes over rafters/ trusses
4) ooch each corner up, re-securing free end, until the tray is clear of bed (e.g. jack from floor, use cable puller from above)
5) drive truck out from under
6) with a couple of extra hands, untie and use friction over the roof frame as a belay device to lower the tray to the ground/ waiting trolley. If you have two or more cable pullers, this whole operation becomes somewhat easier and safer

Goes without saying that care for safety of all involved is paramount

Lee

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,394 Posts
My troop bed was, interestingly, right at 1300 lbs. I would not recall otherwise. If you have stripped the bed already it will be like 900, IIRC.

C.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,669 Posts
I suspect the factory plywood decking adds a huge portion of that weight. I broke a 2000lb warn winch trying to remove mine. Granted a 2000 lb vehicle winch is not rated to dead lift that weight.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect the factory plywood decking adds a huge portion of that weight. I broke a 2000lb warn winch trying to remove mine. Granted a 2000 lb vehicle winch is not rated to dead lift that weight.
It’s not factory PLY, but some other PLY.
i will strip it down to just subframe and headboard before attempting to lift off. On that note, are the headboards always welded on or did I find another customisation done by a previous owner?

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,394 Posts
+ the deck plate fittings in and undr the bed

C.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,669 Posts
I swear my ply was saturated in bitumen of some sort As a preservative. Its insanely heavy where it was still fully intact.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Do you mean the hundreds of bolts & nuts + kilos (or pounds) of glue, sealer?
My list of things to remove so far:
  • sides
  • tailgate
  • mudguards
  • floor (incl nuts & bolts)
That should be it, right?
I haven’t seen your truck, but from the Bund it would also have toolboxes, mounts under the bed for hand tools, and some wiring for coms and power.

C.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s a good looking Unimog, but not mine.
Mine is ex-NZ Army with a 2nd hand ex-ADF cab and ex-UK 2nd hand tray. She’s truely international!

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve started digging in the rust removal and don’t like what I am finding. The seams look rusted from both sides and in side out.
Liquid Water Fluid Wood Landscape

Water Sky Wood Hood Coastal and oceanic landforms

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Ecoregion

My worry is, whatever I do give it 2 years and the rust is back? (Pictures taken after 1st round wire wheeling)
Any ideas, recommendations regards next steps are highly appreciated.

cheers
Andre

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
3,020 Posts
I had similar isses and had new sides bent up by a local shop - very cost effective and will outlive the rest of the truck.
I just cut all the hardware off and welded it onto the new sides.
Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Gas

Reactions: MOG14

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
That’s the way to do it!! I am in the middle of restoring my U1300L bed and if I stick with stock style bed sides I will do the same thing. I also think it modernizes it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts