Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
U1300L
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent 20 minutes crawling around under the truck last night but couldn't find the fill / level plugs on the transmission (8 speed - no working/crawler gears or PTO), or on the rear gear reduction hubs. I have one rear hub that is leaking quite a bit, and don't want to drive it (even to the shop), without making sure there is adequate gear oil in it.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
OK, as far as the hubs go, you'll have something sorta like these, not exactly
perhaps, but the deal is the same.

The lowest plug is the drain, the highest one is the fill, and the one just below the highest is the "fill until it comes out here hole", at least on some of them.

The photos show a 406/416 I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
On the SBU's, the hub-fills are a little less obvious. On My green one, the plugs
look more like bolts that hold the hub box to the axle end, but once you get a wrench down there, it becomes obvious.

For the Trans, there is a drain port on the bottom of it, and the fill port is part way up on the rear face of the gearbox.

On these photos of SBU hubs, you'll see bolts that go through the raised cast bosses on the inside of the hub box. Those are not what you want. The drain/fill plugs are the three that you can see on the top photo with the hex socket heads, not the hex bolt heads, if that makes any sense.

In the bottom photo, they are indeed Hex Bolt heads, three of them, visible in the recesses. Once you get in there and crack the code,
it's simple. I've never seen a photo of any hub that looks like the hubs on my Green DOKA, so I just started poking around.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
The trans fill is the chrome hex socket on the lower left of the cutaway
Trans. It seems too low to enable you to get enough oil in there, but I think
that is it. I seem to remember that mine is a little higher on the case, but
I'm not looking at it, so I could be wrong.
Ben will know in any event.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts