Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my speedo gave up.... the needle is just jumping all over the place. Before that it was always out by about 10kph due to the larger tyres....
So,
time to figure out what to do. I've done some digging here and there's heaps of info in regards to how to adjust the original speedo for larger tyres.
I've also seen the electronic speedo that AV offers.

The gps based units of eBay I've kind of ruled out as I would like to have it in the dash in the original position.
Are there any other options than the AV electronic speedo? Does anyone has experience with that? How hard is it to calibrate?

Cheers
Andre

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,009 Posts
I bought an AV speedo. I have yet to install it. It’s not what I expected by any means. That said it will certainly do the job. I was expecting a bit higher end unit in terms of design and cosmetics. But it is very industrial and would fit in just fine on a tractor or similar piece of agricultural equipment. That just wasn’t the look I was shooting for. At the end of the day it is nice and looks to be well up to Unimog standard. The sender etc is certainly the nicest part of the kit.

·
Registered
Unimog S 404.114
884 Posts
For your research:

The VDO-Kienzle E-Tacho 1323 takes over the legally required display of the speed either stand alone or in connection with the radio format tachographs MTCO or DTCO.

Features of the E-Tacho 1323:
• Display of the speed in the legally prescribed tolerances
• Display of the total distance on the 7-digit LC display with 100 m digit
• Optional display of daily kilometers and time via changeover button
• Custom design for hands, dial and bezel as an option
• Outputs for v-signal, 4 impulses / m, travel / stop signal with stand-alone variant
• Communication with tachograph via K-Line or CAN
• Connection of pulse generators or KITAS sensors

But it is noooot cheap!

·
Registered
2002 G500
35 Posts
does the VDO 1323 need (factory or dealer) programming? I know the VDO 437015007G can be set into a learning mode and you just drive a known distance.

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the VDO part number for the original speedo?

·
Registered
87 - 419 SEE,90 - 1300L
153 Posts
Expedition Imports has a US units speedometer that they claim will work on some 1300 models. These are surplus stock from the the 419 SEEs and are Mercedes NOS. They fit the same hole and have the same graphics. They claim it will fit some 1300 models. It does not fit my late production 1300L with a tachograph as the speedo cable connection is completely different. When I needed a speedo cable I needed a special one for my tachograph which implies that earlier 1300s used a different connection. If someone had an old cable end from a 1300 I could give it a try on the EI speedo or possibly there may be an adapter available.

·
Registered
2002 G500
35 Posts
I just bought an 90' 1250 in Germany. Hence, I am actually talking to someone at Kienzle Germany. Therefore I know about the 1323-2 and that it needs programming hard and software. Should not be a big deal as long as the revolution per km or mile are known from the old speedo. Then add an puls generator with know pulse/rev and it is done.

The other option as I indicated is to use an VDO cockpit speedo. They are (at least were) available in 80 and 100 mm diameter. That one has the learning mode. I have such in my 280GE .. works perfectly.
Lot of info is here, but in German: OLDTIMER: Tipps für Mercedes Geländewagen 460 und 463

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Dual Tanks AC Rigged for Camping Plus: 91 F250 HD 4x4
188 Posts
For your research:

But it is noooot cheap!
And not easy to figure out. I cannot download the page, or get it into Google translate.

I did go to VDO, however, and found an overwhelming amount of "stuff". Seemingly can be purchased direct.

But one needs a sensor:

or:

and then a cable:

The cool thing (and cost factor) is the 150 mm size. The tough part is the parts, how to connect. My take is that one would need to craft a Hall effect "wheel", attaching to and driven by the transmission speedometer cable port, that would then be a pulse generator for a KITAS sensor. This is basically what Michael (lostintheworld) did, and posted about, albeit with a smaller, cheaper, much more readily available VDO speedometer.

All FWIW

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts