Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1300L
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I found in my owners manual a reference to "air conditioning compressor". Does that mean some U1300L had aircon from factory?
Does anyone know more about it or if there is a factory retrofit kit?

Cheers
Andre

·
Registered
U1300L
52 Posts
I think the behr roofmount unit is the only factory option. Greentop was a common aftermarket. There are some clones of the green top Out there.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
The obvious problem with rooftop air on a Military U1300L is the roof hatch. It takes up about half of the roof's area for the opening, and then takes up the other half when the hatch is rotated open.

If you want rooftop air, you basically need to lose the hatch. Even if you crowd the rooftop unit to the driver's side, the hatch won't open, and the distribution vents that go on the ceiling of the cab are built to work with a centered rooftop unit. Anything can be overcome, but there are other options that would allow for the hatch to remain intact and functional.

As mentioned, the Green Top version that places the vents on the lower rail of the dash is an option, and Hellgeth has a clone of that set up. There are others, but I'm not sure who makes them.

My truck has a Greentop unit that is centered on the doghouse for the distribution vents, but otherwise looks to be the same system as the 'Knee Bump Rail' Greentop Package.

I could not figure out how the box was affixed to the doghouse. There was a foam gasket visible, but no mechanical connections were present, on either side of the doghouse/firewall. It was almost as if it was glued on. I wanted to inspect it and clean it, but I couldn't figure out how it was attached. I moved on to other things.

I was working on mounting two 2-meter radios in a place where I or a passenger could operate them. I did not want them overhead, because I don't like the Mic cords dangling, and because of the 2nd A/C unit, which is centered overhead, the radios would have to be on the passenger
side of the cab, and I would not be able to reach them very well.

Anyway, I squeezed them into a good spot up against the lower A/C box. The Black tape is gone, and the shredded Kenwood Mic cord has been replaced. They are easy to access, and out of the way.

During this chore, I decided to remove and repaint the ashtray, and when I removed it, the Greentop A/C box came loose. The whole thing is attached via the screws that hold the Ashtray on. It works fine, but I did not expect that. I'm glad I did not try to pry it off.

There are also units that have been shown mounted to the back wall between the seats, and VINTAGE makes a good unit that will squeeze in behind the dash, eating up the Glove Box.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
New Mic cord, no Black Tape, now Blue Tape.
The Radio Mount stands on legs, and touches up against the Greentop box. I plan on using industrial strength Double stick Tape to keep the Radios snug, so they don't bounce against the box, but wi;; also be adding an Aluminum plate under the feet and cupholders/tray, which will stabilize the whole deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1300L
52 Posts
Wow trucktor! are all of those your trucks?

There may actually be a version of the rooftop unit that mounts to the hatch. Don’t have much detail on what that is though. It’s just a rumor at this point. My friend Charlemagne’s military 1350 had a square standard hatch so he was able to fit the behr in the center hatch position. I was even able to order the vents from Mercedes. So the behr is indeed a factory supported option. Most military trucks have a gunners hatch. My BW U1300L bellumwagen has a rare green top style with passenger side mounted condenser core. Finished in desert sand leather. Has a smaller battery box to accommodate standard spare tire mounting.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts