Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen(and ladies) greetings from sunny England.
I have a leaky front portal input seal leaking a little, and it's now got to the point that I want to do it.I have bought all the parts needed,and I understand that the front hub has to come off completely.What horror stories can I expect to find in there?Is it a job to be feared or will it be pretty straightforward.
Does anyone have an exploded diagram, especially the ball joint set up?I need to get a workshop manual asap to be honest, but it isn't going to happen prior to this weekend's spannerfest.

Yours gratefully as always!

PS, anyone need their dash decals refreshed?I have a friend cutting vinyl overlays that will look factory.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, hang five and I'll be starting a new thread.

Meanwhile, any offers on the portal scenario?

·
Registered
1978 Case 406
173 Posts
I would like to help you out with this, but have only had the rear portals apart. Have not had the joy of taking the front end apart(yet).
Bob

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pics Truktor, appreciated.I'm comfortable with the portal itself, as i have done a rear wheel bearing myself,what worries me slightly is the front balljoints.I was given some verbal advice over the phone from a Unimog tech,but i'm cautious about the balljoints,and whethere i find a million needle bearing rollers flying off in all directions!

Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.