Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to change my car to a right side driver. Is there anything really complicated that must be done to do this. if I already have a ride side dashboard ready for install would that be enough. Or do I need to find other parts as well.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You don't know what you are getting in to. Somebody from AUS or NZ can fill you in. The harness is different - all the column connectors are on the wrong side. There also have to be different parts for the gas pedal and linkage. While not critical the power mirror is on the wrong side, so is the drivers door master lock. The brake booster no doubt moves the battery and washer tank.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Any why would you want to do this?? If you had a British car, then I could see why. But a German car in America that was designed to be LHD.... not a good idea. This would be a very good way to blow lots of money and also devalue your car at the same time!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
dont do it, there is an 500sl R107 in the shop here thats being converted from LHD to RHD the intial quote was 10,000NZD this will surely go up. Apart from different parts the firewalls are asymetrical, meaning one would have to unstictch the seam and replace/modify. No point.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wasn't there a guy called ElectricHorseman that brought this up on this or the W116 forum WE ALL must remember him! Haha.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Wasn't there a guy called ElectricHorseman that brought this up on this or the W116 forum WE ALL must remember him! Haha.

Oh yes! For everybody who didn't read this; go to the W116 forum and do a search. Absolute hilarious!

gr J

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just think, with RHD you can pull up to a red light and have a conversation with the driver next to you. Assuming my S-type project goes according to planned, RHD may very well be a possibility. But for that particular car it's a very easy conversion.

I agree that if you want RHD just buy a car that is already like that and have it shipped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts