Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1980 300 GD and need replacement U joints for my propeller shafts. My G carries the removeable joint with the clip in the inside. Does anybody know were I can buy replacement U joints. Please let me know if you have any info on that.

Regards
Chuko

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Chucko,

GKN order # HS188 (D=30/L=81.7) or GWB order # 7 287 10 06 00 400

GWB= GWB Gelenkwellenbau N.A.
Greenville, SC 29607

more info here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1207713&posts=20&fid=30

It would save you time if you would use the search function of this forum before posting a question. The driveline issue has been covered many times before.

Harald

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
More Info Needed

Justto be sure we're getting the correct information we should check a few facts. The last time you posted these part numbers, Harald, you mentioned that:

"...early 460 drive shafts were very easy to fix (6 bolt flanges) - the U-joint was smaller than the following versions and used a clip to retain the cups....Starting with the 8 bolt flanges the size increased and the cups were staked...."

Based on lots of drive shafts I've seen, the change from 6 to 8 bolt flanges did NOT occur at the same time as the switch from clipped to staked cups (seen many clipped U-joints in 8-bolt flanges as late as '82). So we need a little more info to see if ordering the numbers you gave will get this guy the right U-joints.

1- for Chuko- do your drive shaft flanges on the shaft with the u-joints in question have 6 bolts or 8 bolts.

2- for Harald, do the numbers you posted for u-joints apply to 6-bolt or 8-bolt flange shafts?

I think I once posted GKN part numbers for the clipped joints in 8-bolt flange shafts. If I can't find it on the forum, I'll look at the boxes at home tonight.

-Dave G.

(Edited - Host)

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Well, ignore my comment on the flanges - maybe some of the older, smaller U-joints were also staked. I simply don't know.

If the U-joint caps have a different imprint than the ones posted below and they are in a 1979 or 1980 G - then the replacement U-joint is GKN order # HS188 (D=30/L=81.7)
To be certain Chucko can measure the cap diameter (30mm) and the distance from cap to cap (81.7)

If the cap diameter is 31 mm and the distance from cap to cap is 88.3 mm then the order number is GKN HS300 (D=31/L=88.3)

Harald

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
My G is a 1980 280 GE. It came equipped with the same removable U-joints with circlips that you describe, Chuko. One old U-joint I took out is here on the bench and it measures 30mm cup diameter and 82mm across the cups.

The spare parts I have (of which one has already been used to replace the joint mentioned above) are GWB brand parts and they carry the part number:
7 287 10 06 00 400

I had Drive Train Industries in Denver Colorado order these for me, but they had to buy them from another source. One of the two boxes has the Greenville, South Carolina address that Harald mentioned. The label on the other box is from a company called "Machine Service Industrial" in Racine, Wisconsin, USA. I think this is their website:
http://www.machineservice.com/welcome.htm

Without knowing more about where you're located it's tough to know whether this info is of any value. But in any case, armed with the part numbers from GWB and GKN, hopefully you can obtain the right parts from a local dstributor for one of those companies. Failing that, maybe knowing the size will allow you to source a suitable substitute.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
And as Harald said, Don't forget the slip joint!

That was a great tip in one of the past threads about the fact that if you can remove the short end of the drive shaft without removing the grease nipple from teh slip joint, that the slip joint is probably worn enough to vibrate, even if you can't feel play.

I wonder if any of these driveline shops can source a slip joint as beefy as the G one for use in fabricating replacement shafts. I'm going to have to check one of these days since I think the front driveshaft in my truck has a slip joint that fits the description above (worn).

-Dave G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts