Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced a rear wheel at considerable cost, and then found that again there are slight scrapes on the wheel, caused by even gently reversing into a parking space, and catching a small kerb ! Whilst clearly my driving is slightly to blame, i'm sure other owners have the same frustrating problem.

My BWM has a quite a large anti rub rubber ring around the inner of the tyre, this tends to bump the kerb first, and offers some protection to the wheel, which the Mercedes original tyres seem to lack.

As this would help to reduce this problem - I wondered if anyone had managed to find a tyre which provides this type of protection - the size I need are 245/35/18 rears and 225/40/18 fronts. I dont really want to stray from origional equipment, but wondered if another option was to simply upsize the tyres to 235 or 245's - would this produce the same result ?

Any help or advice appreciated ! :)

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I've owned BMWs in the past and don't remember anything special about any anti-rub feature on the wheels. (Of course, the feature could be something new.) I was checking out some of the new BMWs and couldn't find the "rubber ring" that you were alluding to. Can you provide a pic?

My wife is an expert at producing "curb rash" on wheels. At first, I had the wheels refinished, but after doing that a number of times, I just gave up and now live with it. So far, the only "cure" I've found is just to be more careful. I'm super paranoid with my SLK, but I'm sure somewhere down the road, I'll be a recipient of the "rash" and share your pain.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I've owned BMWs in the past and don't remember anything special about any anti-rub feature on the wheels. (Of course, the feature could be something new.) I was checking out some of the new BMWs and couldn't find the "rubber ring" that you were alluding to. Can you provide a pic?
Rim protectors are a common feature on tires. They are slightly raised section on the sidewall near the rim or bead. They can be helpful to protect the rim when you lightly brush a curb when parallel parking. For harder hits against the curb, they are not likely to help much. Just do an internet search on "rim protector" and there will be pictures to look at.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Rim protectors are a common feature on tires. They are slightly raised section on the sidewall near the rim or bead. They can be helpful to protect the rim when you lightly brush a curb when parallel parking. For harder hits against the curb, they are not likely to help much. Just do an internet search on "rim protector" and there will be pictures to look at.
Thanks for your description. Now I understand what was meant by the rim protector.

When I "Googled" rim protector, all I got were two-piece plastic products that were used for mounting/dismounting wheel rims. (I'm sure you didn't have these in mind. LOL.) In any case, the raised section of the tire probably works for minor enounters with a curb, but wouldn't prevent "rash" in those instances when you parallel park and mis-judge where the wheels are at, etc. Also, with the lower profile tires, it seems like we're just "cruisin' for a bruisin'" by not being extra careful anywhere we park the SLK.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Try Tire Rack's description with pictures ( I used Yahoo and searched "rim protector tires).

"Tire/Rim Protectors

While curbs and debris on the road have never been considered a tire's friend, many of today's tires resist accidental damage by featuring thicker rubber molded at key locations on their sidewalls. This helps reduce damage to the tires and/or wheels when drivers accidentally rub them against curbs while parking or turning sharply out of a driveway. "

But you are correct that low profile tires are at risk for curb damage by nature. I recently had a close call with the 35 series/low profile 18" tires on my Porsche. I brushed the rear tire against the curb when parallel parking, enough where I could feel it.:eek: But the rim protector in the Michelin tire protected the rim in this case. :cool:

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Try Tire Rack's description with pictures ( I used Yahoo and searched "rim protector tires)
Thanks! Great description and pics on that Web site. I learned something today! Guess I'll never look at a tire the same way :)

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, as I live in the UK we tend to 'parallel park' probably more often than you do in the USA, also I have to frequently drive slowly along very narrow roads on the school run in the morning, passing traffic in the opposite direction. So whilst I am always extremely careful, it only takes a slight slip to catch the wheel on a kerb.

Thats why I considered fitting slightly wider tyres to try and reduce the likelihood of this happening. The BMW rim protectors arent massive, but just tend to provide a rubber squeak before you make contact with anything harder !

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as a postscript - I have checked and can fit 255's on the rears, so I intend going down that route.

I was quite surprised that I am having to replace the rears after only 4k ! I guess I can just put this down to enthusiastic ownership :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts