Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 312D merceds Sprinter mwb hi roof 3.55t
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 195/70 r15 fitted to my sprinter 312d mwb hi roof and am concerned that these are not the correct tyres. I am fairly confident that the vehicle would have originally been fitted with 225/70 r15 and also wondered what the benefit of the bigger tyre would be.

I am driving to spain in july with a full load in the back and am keen to make sure the tyres will be able to cope with the weight and journey time in one go.

Anyone know where to source the 225/70 r15 cheapest? Obviously I would require 5!

Many thanks

Jay

·
Registered
2011 316
171 Posts
Hi Jay

If your van has 195/70/15 then I would keep to them, but as I said in a earler reply the must be 8Ply by law if you are carring goods.

If you did go for the wider tyres the your speedo would be out by about 6.5%.

also if you put in your profile your location you might get someone close to suggest a cheap place to get bits !

Radiotwo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radiotwo said:
Hi Jay

If your van has 195/70/15 then I would keep to them, but as I said in a earler reply the must be 8Ply by law if you are carring goods.

Radiotwo
even if these were not the original size tyres?

also, how can i check if mine are 8 ply? would that not be standard on all vans?

·
Registered
2011 316
171 Posts
JAY1 said:
even if these were not the original size tyres?

also, how can i check if mine are 8 ply? would that not be standard on all vans?
Hi Again

Look in your hand book, it will tell you there, It is a long time since I had any thing to do with the 312, But I thought the 225's were a option, Have you changed them?

and with regards the ply rating, look on the sidewall, and in small print(!) it will say how many types of plys's, I have just looked at a 07 reg 311 and it has a Li marked on the tyre, ie something like 115/115, which relates to 1215Kgs per tyre.

as to weather it is better to have the 195 or 225 I don't think there will be much diffrence but I think it depends opon how worn yours are, if they are more than 2mm then I would leave them till winter and change them

Radiotwo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed that my tracking needs doing on my tyres. it pulls to the left slightly and has excessive wear on the outer edge of the paasenger front tyre. Anyone know of good places to try and what price I would be looking at? Out of curiosity i pulled into quikfit to gask them and i was quoted £27 and told they would 'try' and do the tracking....I declined and walked out. 'Try'??!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
apologies. Have added the information now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts