Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right peeps.
I currently run 14.5 R20 on my U1000.
I'm looking ahead to my replacements due in a few months time,and have seen some keen prices on the 16.0/70/20,which the seller lists as equivalent to 405/70/20)

How will this compare heightwise(ie rolling radius/gearing) to what I have.I seem to recall someone said a 15.50 was the biggest you could stick on without issues?

many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I run 15.5's on my 1200, I have the 2" lift in the front (left over from when the truck had a plow) and drum wheels. The tires fit but will touch the fenders at full stuff. They brought up my top speed to 85 kph, but suck lots of power, they are about 290 lb. per tire/rim combo, (I thinks thats about 70 lb. more than my 14.5's were) Its all my truck can do to turn them at 85 kph. any bit of a hill and the speed drops off fast. There is a tread on here with photos of me installing them, search for "new shoe's".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run 500/70-20 Kama (Russian) tires and they fit perfectly to stock U1000. I had to remove rear fenders for off-road because in full flex there's only 1-2 cm between rear tire and bed frame.

unimogvenyttely.jpg

16/70-20 are usually smaller in height than 14,5-20. It varies with different manufacturers but I would recommend that before buying measure real height and width of tires. For example I tried these Mitas tires:

CGS - Ceska¡ gumarenska¡ spolea nost (diagonal*)

and MPT-01 16/70-20 overall diameter was really only 1025mm and section width 375mm.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Finmog, do you think yours would still rub if you had the disc wheels?

SBO, thanks, that's good advice,I'll make a few enquiries!

I've got a few months of life in mine yet, so have the luxury of time on my side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Finmog, do you think yours would still rub if you had the disc wheels?

SBO, thanks, that's good advice,I'll make a few enquiries!

I've got a few months of life in mine yet, so have the luxury of time on my side.
Wheels that I use with 500/70-20 are modified 13x20. Backspacing is maximum without rubbing so tires won't stick out too much. That's because in road use tires should be fully covered with fenders. Rubbing is only height issue, those KAMA's are 120cm (47,6 in) tall and original 14,5-20 are only 109cm (43 in).
And these steal power too, on-road fuel consumption jumped and speed drops uphills, but for off-road I wouldn't go back to 14,5-20. Width makes these tires great in Finnish forests where ground is soft and wet.

If I would need yet taller tires, next size that is easily available is 14.00-20 (G20) but that is 128cm tall and would require a lift and some cutting. Actually I have a set of these because I just had to try if they would fit. :D

Here's a picture that shows rear tire problem.

moggivenyy3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
What is the load capacity of 500/70-20 tires?

Charlie
Tire info
Tread pattern Off-road
Type of construction Bias
Version Tubbed
Carcass and breaker construction Textile
Ply rating PR 10/16
:: Geometry
Overal diameter, mm. 1185
Section width, mm. 475
Static radius, mm. 548
:: Parameters
Load index 150/156
Max load, kg-wt 3350/4000
Speed symbol F
Max speed, km/h 80
Max pressure, kg-wt/cm2 4.0/5.3
Rim permissed (recommended) 514-400
Tube 1200x500-508
Flap 475-580
Avg tire weight, kg 100.90/101.3
Avg tube weight, kg 11.20/12
Avg flap weight, kg 6.15

KAMA® at the truck tyres section

·
Registered
5 Posts
They have some really nice tires, but they are all tube type and have max load "only" 4000kg. How is the price?.

Charlie
Well.. I have driven one tyre flat for 15km 80km/h and didn't notice it. Tire survived it too, it was a bit hot but the carcass was ok.
Price of these tires as well as all russian tires has gone up recently but my 16pr "stronger" ones were about 450 euro/each delivered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts