Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! New to the forum. Buying a 1998 S500 with 70k miles on it. What are the main common problems with this car that cost over $1000 to repair?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The transmission, suspension, traction control system, throttle actuator, and door close assist system are the common problems, all quite expensive. Timing chain problems can be fatal but avoided with relatively inexpensive maintenance.

·
Registered
W140 1997 S500
193 Posts
The wiring in the outside mirrors are a problem in my S500. The main Wiring of the engine is ok.

original mb new Outside mirrors are expensive.

You have to remove the mirror covers to check it.

5 minutes job, if you know how to remove the covers, search the forum.

Also one of my rear coils broke recently, seems to be a common mb problem.
cost me $600 for original replacement of both sides, incl labor.

·
Registered
2004 S500
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the side driver mirror for about $250 and the side passenger for about $50. Any idea why the price difference? Is it because the driver's dims when light shines on it? Also, do these parts (for that price) usually fix the 'wiring issue' you were talking about?

·
Registered
W140 1997 S500
193 Posts
I found the side driver mirror for about $250 and the side passenger for about $50. Any idea why the price difference? Is it because the driver's dims when light shines on it? Also, do these parts (for that price) usually fix the 'wiring issue' you were talking about?
I don't know, I didn't replace mine, I fixed it myself with some extra insulation around the metal of the wires, it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
1998 W140 S320LWB 65k miles
17 Posts
Hi, S600Guy

can you share where you find "the side passenger for about $50"? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 S550 Sport ; 2003 CL500 Sport Pkg ; 1999 S500 ; 1999 CL600 **RIP**
526 Posts
just bought one myself...

I just bought a 99 S500 with 162Kmi for $3500!
The car is MINT in/out. Was a trade in...bought it wholesale
came with BN snow tires, batt, and svc history
I LOVE THIS CAR!

just couldn't believe how nice the car really is for the clock
not one scratch
only neg's are two very unnoticeable dings on rear driver door

other than that its literally showroom cond!!

will post pics soon

Happy Holidays : )

·
Registered
W140 1997 S500
193 Posts
I just bought a 99 S500 with 162Kmi for $3500!
The car is MINT in/out. Was a trade in...bought it wholesale
came with BN snow tires, batt, and svc history
I LOVE THIS CAR!

just couldn't believe how nice the car really is for the clock
not one scratch
only neg's are two very unnoticeable dings on rear driver door

other than that its literally showroom cond!!

will post pics soon

Happy Holidays : )
not to mention how nice a ride with this beast is....

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT Find, enjoy your "new" ride.
Door Dings are an easy fix with paintless dent removal service. They can bring your car back to near if not perfect condition in less than an hour with no painting and for little cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
I think a couple other forum participants have said the problem with mirror is the in door wiring harness, not the physical mirror itself.

If none of your mirrors are working, check your mirror control switch in the center console. Mine was disconnected for some odd reason.

And to follow the words of the first mechanic who did my pre purchase inspection, DO NOT move the center roof mount inside mirror by hand. It will break and you will cost yourself a few hundred dollars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts