Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 vintage Mercedes Benz Type C winch that I am trying to install on the front of my 1980 U406. It came off a similar vintage 416.

When I put it onto the front PTO, the driver side pin lines up and receives the pin with no problem, but the offside misses the similar bracket on the other side by a matter of inches. Sorry, I have not photographed it yet to illustrate the problem.

Can anyone explain how to adapt it to fit my existing bracket? I have researched existing posts and FAQ to see what I have done wrong, but I have not figured it out. It would not be difficult to build an adapter to fit the misalignment but I am sure MB has already designed some more elegant solution.

Please redirect me to the right source if my problem has already been solved.
Thanks.

Resource

·
Registered
26 Posts
> Can anyone explain how to adapt it to fit my existing bracket?

Bracket? There are 2 brackets that bolt, one to each frame rail end. Both have a round hole at their top. Then there's two winch mount brackets, one bolts to each mount. The
one on the passenger side has a round hole that should fit in a slot w/ two holes on your winch and get captured w/ a pin. The drivers side has a round post pointing forward. That one should insert into a pocket in your winch.

I can send pics if you need them.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Here are the pieces that you are missing... Some version of them is still avalible from mercedes.

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazing Response

Thanks to each of you. I had seen the required adapter in a parts diagram from the winch manual, but it did not make sense. The responses make sense.

Thanks for the help. I will go back out to the shed and scratch my head some more. The pictures are worth a thousand words.

Last
Resource

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tructor, Thanks again.

I actually put the winch in service yesterday with some agricultural bodging together of bits and pieces.

I need to find the right adapters, though, so that up and down movement of the winch is secured.

I think the scanned images of the parts diagram finally made the correct installation clear, with the pieces circled. And I had printed the winch manual and studied it at length without understanding the parts diagram. Professionally embarassing for someone who makes a living as an engineer.

Resource

1 - 11 of 11 Posts