Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who's responsibility was it to tell me that there is a manual height adjustment for the back of the seat track in my 1973?

I took a video of this and will post on YouTube later.

I am disappointed in you Benzworld for not reading my mind and knowing that i had no idea this function exists... Until I started looking at how to remove the seat to replace the seat pad... (Which is now completely torn between each front-to-back spring).

Please understand I am joking. :)

Edit: here is the video. It looks like I got a little out of focus as I struggled to adjust.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,348 Posts
Happy Anniversary Fonzi/MKN. Sorry I did not tell you. Blame me.

Everyone else does.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Rowdie's got the right idea Fonz, time to wear the old moniker for a while or we'll have to break out the Ass-Cap again. :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Fonzi / MKN M knows more about 107 rims than anyone on this board.

Too busy with a tape measure and vernier caliper to worry about how to f*ck the wife in the drivers seat.

:)

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ is that possible?

Perhaps I should get out my measuring calipers to measure the distance between the steering wheel and seat and compare to that of my wife's ass. She's petite, but a midget by no means. :)

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
^^^ is that possible?

Perhaps I should get out my measuring calipers to measure the distance between the steering wheel and seat and compare to that of my wife's ass. She's petite, but a midget by no means. :)
Yeah, why don't you do that.

Let us know when you get out of the hospital. :eek:

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Pics, or it didn't happen... no, wait a minute...!

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh... Now I see why people put on the smaller steering wheels even when they block the gauges.

I guess I will need one of those mini race car steering wheels, and I will have a good explanation when people ask why I put that on my car.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Why not go all out and get a quick detach hub kit? Then you can just pop it off and put the steering wheel on the roof as a signal to the neighbors to stay away for a few!

LMAO!

JetPaul

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,348 Posts
Why not go all out and get a quick detach hub kit? Then you can just pop it off and put the steering wheel on the roof as a signal to the neighbors to stay away for a few!

LMAO!

JetPaul
Good idea. Only put the steering wheel on the deck lid. The task would be easier to perform with the top down. Another point for the SL over the SLC.:D

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Well having a hard top SLC, not to be confused with a hard ****, the option never even occured to me!

Good thought, and more headroom! Take that last one anyway you you want to! It dawned on me AFTER I typed it! Hahaha!

JetPaul

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,348 Posts
Well having a hard top SLC, not to be confused with a hard ****, the option never even occured to me!

Good thought, and more headroom! Take that last one anyway you you want to! It dawned on me AFTER I typed it! Hahaha!

JetPaul
Nice to have someone twisted and perverted like me.:thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not that I want to turn this thread back to real 107 talk... But ...

So ok... Who's responsibility was it to tell me I had no damn clue what I was doing trying to install a new seat pad. Seriously, did you guys think I would be able to do this? Damn you benzworld! Poor rewilla sent me his old seat pads not even accepting any payment for the shipping. That's a real nice guy! With two exceptions... He didn't tell me I can't install these muther fockers on my own, AND he told me I should just "pay it forward". Damn! What a pain in the ass, paying it forward. Just let me pay for what I owe and do it that way. :)

Anyway, all is good. I stuffed thick asbestos removal plastic bags above and below my existing seat pad (above the springs on the bottom, and below the mbtex on the top side), and then slipped some sheets of really thick cardboard under the plastic and above the springs on the bottom side. It was a real bitch getting the seat back in during the heat today while my wife was yelling at me to come inside and help with the kids before we were late for my dad's birthday get together. But I got that muther focker back in and all six screws threaded before we left, and we were only about a half hour late... Which is expected for me at family functions. So all turned out good. There is no more spring riding up my ass crack, and now I can move on to finding a 10" steering wheel.

I would post the pictures I snapped on my iPhone, but I don't know how to post directly from my phone and don't want to go to the computer right now, but I would. All the project a successful 2 hours that could have been done in one if I knew what I was doing.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
If you knew what you were doing we wouldn't enjoy your escapades as much !!

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the pictures I took of the adventure. (loaded the auto guide app.)

One seat track lock was completely bent to the point of being unused. I assume some knucklehead before me did that intentionally. After fixing this and installing the seat, I could not get it to slide at all front to back. So then a gooped on some high temp red grease for my wheel bearings and worked the grease in before installing a second time. It is nice and smooth now.

The seat was super saggy before and you could feel each individual spring riding up your butt. They were operating independently really, the main problem the way I saw it. So I made them so they will now work together. That cardboard is really thick stiff stuff, not your average card oars box. I had to slice it into narrow sheets to stuff between the two middle springs and shuffle it over to the sides. I think I used about four sheets like this with some overlap.

There are foam strips on the mbtex that are basically smushed and could use replacing, but I don't see how that would be done without removing the whole mbtex cover.

I saw staples through metal and also could not figure out how the seat cover was stuffed in in the front either. So I decided that the mbtex wasn't coming off. heck, I wasn't even sure how to remove the insert for the roller knob for the incline in order to take the seat back off. I gave up on that one too.

I still call the project a success though. No spring up my ass anymore. Feels much better, and the seat glides down that track now... Nice and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts