Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240D M/T White
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back home after picking up the last car I will ever own (barring collisions).

Earlier I found what I wanted; a white, manual transmission, 1981 to 1983 240D with a "tan" interior. I found one with some rust & 173,000 miles earlier & bought it over eBay.

BUT, I later found this unbelieveable car. 1982 White 240D with manual transmission, palamino interior, alloy wheels (original were painted steel but owner replaced them with NEW dealer alloys), cruise control, sunroof.

72,8xx miles (talked to mechanic for last 12 years, it had 48,000 in 1993) "Impeccably maintained" Oil change every 6 months.

Always Garaged. Rear shelf NOT faded.

Whittier, California, no salt, no rain

Wheel wells still pristine white

Engine interior metal still has some shine, ZERO grime (detailed every 6 months ??) Even oil & fuel caps look new

No oil under oil breather after 2,500 miles

Any rubber with "age" has been replaced.

Seats & interior in PERFECT condition

Paint well waxed throughout and perfect. Two VERY small dings that I had to look closely for.

It looks (and drives) like a well cared for two year old car.

"Bad"

Brake Fluid is old, shocks have lost some gas and need replacement, cruise control works but will not "slow down" when clicked down, sunroof sounds a bit "dry" when opening

I got 34 to 37 mpg on the way back (except 42 mpg on detour to Death Valley to see the flowers). About a quart of oil consumed in ~2,500 miles (4,000 km). (I will convert fuel mileage to liters/100 km later).

My mechanic says that it looks like it came from a time capsule. I told him to wash his hands BEFORE working on the engine so as to not dirty it up. He laughed & agreed. Said that NO way detailing could clean it up that much, it had to be kept clean from day one. Nuts & bolts look new, etc.

I will take some work to keep this car from aging but I will try ! :))

·
Registered
1982 240D M/T White
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: Two Year Old 240D :)) eBay Link

Details on eBay # 4527439297

Link is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4527439297

"Large" photos give some idea of just how nice it is :)

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
congrats--

youll like it alot. may i suggest dropping the tank and cleaning the fuel screen asap?

it may have been done already, but my car(same on the outside, blue interior, 79 w/129k) had not and i got rear ended on the second night i had it after the fuel supply couldnt keep up with interstate driving!

it isnt apparentby the filters or anything..

nice car, but i have to say, they saw you coming on that price...

youd have gotten better mileage, safety and reliability with a late model gasser for that kind of money!

161 dollars per horse!

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Im jelous. [:I] Good luck with it (you probably wont need it). I just bought a 85 Coupe with 94,000. Im gonna see if I can get my engine looking like that. [:D]

·
Registered
82 240D manual
110 Posts
RE: Two Year Old 240D :)) eBay Link

Good to see you are propping up our resale values! You have a like new 240D for 1/3 of what a new Camry would cost. That 240D will still be running long after that Camry is being "recycled". I have a '82, manual, white/tan 240K miles and going strong. pristine shape. Paid $3100 but put another $4K into it for timing chain, minor rust repair, windshield, Bilsteins, brake caliper, stereo, vacuum repairs, A/C work, and all filters glow plug relays, etc. Hope it will be trouble free for a while. If you can find a nice one it always pays to spend a bit more. 67 hp in a 3500 lb car, and the dopes on their cell phones in their SUV pigs can't get out of my way going up the hills on Rt. 280 in NJ!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lovely 240. Way jealous. I got a 240D bling bling gold for $1000. put $250 into it so far (battery, oil, etc). Hits about 35mpg and seems just about cherry aside from some dingers on the winshield, paint, and grille. Some electrical problems as well. Still, at 220k miles i trust it more than my 100k '98 Grand cherokee 5.9L limited which gets 12.1mpg on SUPREME (which it requires).

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
the grand cherokee shouldnt require premium fuel and it should get a bit more mileage.

our family's ram(5.9, just the same) gets about 17mpg on mid-grade and isnt problematic at 175k.

my situation is exactly the opposite... i trust the ram more with more miles than i do my 130k 240;)

btw: my 240 gets about 27mpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts