Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 G320
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started on running SVO in my 1985 300GD. I bought the car from Europa and began right away running bio. My daughter's car is a 1984 280 GE with a transplanted BMW 534 diesel engine. We have been running her car for 9 months on bio and have had no issues at all. After my first tank of bio in my 85 it cleaned out 20 years of diesel depoists and I had to replace both fuel filters. I did fair amount of research and found a guy named Chris Goodwin here in Seattle who has figured out a fantastic two tank system.He calls his shop FRYBIRD and really doing great things on his site. My original tank runs diesel/bio and my new tank that he installed where the jump seat usually is runs SVO/WVO. I have not yet got the WVO going but I plan to get it together by summer. For now I am running SVO bought at a local food warehouse store. I plan on picking up some WVO Friday. Take a look at Chris' site for the diagram
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567
and this site for photos of the install.
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602
It gives me great pride to show Chris's work as it is top notch.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
Hoew long were you running bio and in what concentrations? I am curious about whether 100% bio will lead to injection pump failure.

On another note, has anyone ever used the induction of propane in their engines? This guy in NJ (www.welshtec.com) seems to be offering a good product but I can't find any one that has tried it.

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
CEOG,

Not entirely related to your topic: I saw a G that looked a great deal like yours in Olympia last week. A smooth biodiesel aroma followed the cars passing. I was not driving my G that day, but waved anyway. The G had WA plates, but the driver was reading a map, turning the corner at Plum and Jefferson, and seemed lost, and now amused, that someone might be waving him.

The issues related injector setup and pump wear have stopped me from leaping headlong into bio diesel fuel use. I see many MB sedans and estate cars, as well as transit buses, using biodiesel here.

·
Registered
96 G320
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thomas,
That was me in Olympia. I was visiting a client. As far as jumping in, just do it. I have not had a problem with the injector I have not had a problem. I did replace the two fuel filters and have benn runninh B100 in both cars with no trouble at all. I will be running B99 due to the bio fuel rebate being offered. Thomas you should stop by and talk to Chris Goodwin he can show you what he has developed. There is a biodiesel fair on this Saturday at Sand Point in Seattle, you should attend.

·
Registered
1982 300GD Turbo
132 Posts
CEOG,

The install looks great and so does the truck. Craftsmanship does look top notch.
Couple of questions:
Is this the G that was traded for a D110? If so, what do you think of the difference?
What size is the aux tank? Assuming it is smaller that the main, why not use the aux for bio and the main for WVO?
How are you going to deal with your WVO? Cleaning, storing, collecting, etc.

Things you may already know (I don't mean to sound like a "know-it-all but these might be helpful):
I have friends that have had problems with Rice Bran oil even after filtering down to 5 microns. I would avoid it. Stay away from hydrogenated oils. So far, for me, Corn and Canola have been the best. Peanut is great but only when really hot. Since it is colder up where you are, I would avoid it altogether. Watch out for restaurants with low oil turn out. The restaurant I get my oil from goes through 35-40 gallons of corn per week.

I have a single-tank Elsbett kit on my G and it has been very happy closing in on 2 years.

I would be happy sharing any information on the subject so don't hesitate to email me at [email protected] Oh, and if you'd like a "Powered by Vegetable Oil" decal for your back window, send me your address, I have one left.

Good luck!
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
96 G320
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,
I did a straight across trade on the Defender 110 and I am very happy. The 110 was alot of fun to drive, however it really drank the nectaur and I have been very pleased with my wife's G320 as well as my daughter's 300GD. I just wanted to be more responsible to mother earth, plus I like being on the fringe. The extra tank is 15 gallons and has some special componets in it so I wanted to keep it the extra and not fool around with the original tank. My 85 was in great shape, my daughter's 84 had some rust so I had the tank recoated by a group in PA, then we started B100 when it got back. I am just statring on the WVO so your tips are appreciated. There is a dougnut store very close by my house and hopefully that will be my source. I am having a tire cover made for me that has the FRYBIRD logo on it, but I will take fou up on your sticker offer. I'll send you my addrees on a email. I use SVO and use Canola or Soy. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
I have finally located bio-diesel locally and have started running b-20 with the intent of evolving up b-100. I have discussed this with a good friend that is an engineer at MB in Stuttgart. He said that the ill effects on the injector pump are minimal if any at all. The greater lubrication properties of the bio-diesel also add significant engine life. Since bio-diesel is widely available in Germany, and has been for some time, there is a reasonable amount of evidence on this.

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
CEOG,

Well, what are the chances of spotting someone in a busy little village like Olympia. There are three 460's (SWB, LWB, and a Cabrio - all diesels), and one or two 463's in the area.

Saturday: Dang, I would love to go to the veggie fuel event at Sand Point. I am committed to a local event - a freak show of sorts, wherein each year much of the town breaks out dressed as weirdly as possible. "Parade of the species" - and it can be a very odd thing. The underlying tension of a community that supports and is supported by being the seat of state government, I guess. Oh, yes and the semi annual Art Walk, where the entire down town Olympia turns into a community night of music and art. Artists and locals show their art work and are on hand to talk with anyone interested. It is a very unique twice per year gathering.

We have a few vendors of veggie diesel here, and the number of cars wearing veggie fuel oil decals is remarkable. Oly is a very green-aware place. Next time you are down this way, send a private message or email of your expected time/dates. Lunch is on me.

Best wishes,

ts

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Thomas - Check Your PM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts