Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2019 CLS450 coupe in January. It only has 4000 miles on it and it has already had to have two sets of front rotors. In addition to this, when it goes over bumps, such as rumble strips, the back end has the sensation of the tires skipping causing me to have to correct with the steering. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with this model?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I bought a 2019 CLS450 coupe in January. It only has 4000 miles on it and it has already had to have two sets of front rotors. In addition to this, when it goes over bumps, such as rumble strips, the back end has the sensation of the tires skipping causing me to have to correct with the steering. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with this model?
Could you please update your profile with your location and the vehicle model?
This is very strange! Did you buy new or used with the said 4000 mileage?
Was it a test drive unit at the dealership that they sold as-is?
I'm assuming you were doing these replacements at the dealership covered by warranty. Did they even question the fact that 2 sets of rotors in less than one year is bit bizarre?

Unless your driving habits are different than anybody else, please provide a little bit of history so we can understand what caused this "metallurgical" disaster.

Thanks

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
Is it just one rotor at a time or all?

Also, FYI, I deleted your thread in the other (1st gen CLS) forum since it belongs here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the replies. The car was bought new at the dealership and delivered with only 40 miles on the odometer. The service manager is just sticking to the facts; Warped rotors = replace under warranty...for now. The suspension on this thing is a nightmare. Go over rumble strips around 35 or 40 and you get the back end doing a “fishtail” like motion which is sometimes enough to have to correct with the steering. My neighbor has the same car and has experienced the “fishtail” sensation as well. The feedback coming from the suspension is such that I actually don’t feel safe in this car. I asked them to check error codes and to do a search for other cars of this type that are experiencing this problem but I can’t be sure they ever did that. I did a recall check and don’t see any. My next step is to have a meeting with the dealership manager.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Hi thanks for the replies. The car was bought new at the dealership and delivered with only 40 miles on the odometer. The service manager is just sticking to the facts; Warped rotors = replace under warranty...for now. The suspension on this thing is a nightmare. Go over rumble strips around 35 or 40 and you get the back end doing a “fishtail” like motion which is sometimes enough to have to correct with the steering. My neighbor has the same car and has experienced the “fishtail” sensation as well. The feedback coming from the suspension is such that I actually don’t feel safe in this car. I asked them to check error codes and to do a search for other cars of this type that are experiencing this problem but I can’t be sure they ever did that. I did a recall check and don’t see any. My next step is to have a meeting with the dealership manager.
Do you have the damaged rotors handy?
I suggest that you take them to a mechanic and rotate them to see if they are really warped.

I'm saying this because rotors are machined by lathes and the manufacturing QA process is very stringent, not to mention that the rotors are an "Original MB Spare Part".

Something fishy is related to the suspension that needs to be caught otherwise your vehicle is not safe to drive, and this is a bullet that you have to put in your gun when discussing this matter with the dealership manager. A brand new vehicle (not to mention the hefty price tag) should not incur three sets of rotors within 4000 miles.

You need to know the damage pattern on the rotors so you can discuss intelligently with the dealership manager and his maintenance manager.
Maintenance managers at dealers are not reliability experts and they quit (like 30 years ago) being smart in diagnosing any failure mode to cost effectively and safely fix it. They tend to visually notice the physical failure and then apply what the MB Bible (WIS) instructs on how to replace.

With regard of recalls, I highly suspect that this issue will pop up to manifest a recall unless the NHTSA notice an accumulation of reported failures that constitutes one.

Good luck... Please please stay safe and abandon the vehicle if you don't feel safe enough to drive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. The parts that were replaced are long gone as of now. I think it is something that is inherent in this model and of course, it will be kept under wraps as long as possible. I was thinking of asking my neighbor if I could drive her car to see if her front end is getting wonky too. She said she didn’t notice but either she isn’t sensitive to it or it doesn’t have 1700 to 2000 miles on it yet which is the first mileage that I noticed the problem. Meeting with dealership manager on Friday so we will see what happens with that.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The parts that were replaced are long gone as of now. I think it is something that is inherent in this model and of course, it will be kept under wraps as long as possible. I was thinking of asking my neighbor if I could drive her car to see if her front end is getting wonky too. She said she didn’t notice but either she isn’t sensitive to it or it doesn’t have 1700 to 2000 miles on it yet which is the first mileage that I noticed the problem. Meeting with dealership manager on Friday so we will see what happens with that.
I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless you are tracking this CLS450, there is no way rotors would wear out with this low of mileage. If the car is manufactured correctly and you're not taking it to the track, something is wrong with it. I'd put my money on calipers sticking and wearing out the rotors. Have they replaced the pads too? If it were my new car I would call MB Customer Service and get this complaint registered. Good Luck, I hope they find the problem because this is not "Normal". Marv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts