Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Could they make their ad sound any snobbier? Maybe they could learn to proofread their work as well. Oh well, no wonder those "time capsules" keep sitting in that dusty warehouse.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
It's Barry Taylor. Ask him about pricing (if he'll give you one), and you'll know why he's still sitting on them and has been for years and years and years...

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Yeah, that guy is definately a tool, you can tell just from reading the arrogant text in the Craigslist posting.

Those are some cool, special interest Benz's. (I'd never seen them before, but I've only been on this forum for about a year).

'Top condition' cars my ass. No car that's well cared for, or cared about at ALL for that matter, is going to be sitting under such a thick blanket of dust. Those poor cars are doing nothing but deteriorating, and anything that's been sitting long enough to build up that kind of dust needs the 'like new' tires to be replaced with actual new tires. And look at those floor mats. Anyone who's that supposedly caring of a vehicle would not step in covered in filth, or at least would clean it up immediately. I keep my daily driver cleaner than that during the upstate NY winter. Sad.

As they are now, they're nothing but 25 year old used cars.

I'm sure it'd take more than the detailing they promise to get them to be dependable and enjoyable cars again.

PS. If anyone cares, I know where there's a euro 380SE for sale in upstate ny, in fair to good condition- cheap.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What a waste of electrons......"if your offer is in the range of what Mr. Taylor will sell the car for, it will be presented to Mr. Taylor."

I've spoken to Barry many times, and he was always very helpful and friendly on the phone. He certainly knows his stuff and has an unbelievable collection. But that ad makes him sound like Idi Amin....he should fire the guy that wrote it.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
He wasn't very helpful to me. I called there 3 times and left my number and never got a call back. The 4th time I finally spoke to him and told him what I wanted. He seemed to barely care and still has not called me back one way or another. I guess he's just one of those guys that's so rich he's just in business for fun!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I guess he's just one of those guys that's so rich he's just in business for fun!

Having known him personally since 1985, I would have to say that statement is actually, at this point in time, not far from the truth.

He has spent most of that time selling converted gray market new and almost new Mercedes Benz AMG, Kleeman, Lorinser and Brabus, variants of them, to the carriage trade, millionaires and multimillionaires. Plus as a licensed California car dealer, AMG conversion facility and certified Gray market converter.

He worked very hard selling to the carriage trade, and life has been very, very good to him.

He especially loves the W123 and W126 cars, and is very personally familiar with Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, and has made countless trips to Europe, to buy lightly used, and new, highly modified Mercedes Benzes to resell to customers in the USA

He is really more of a car sales dealer than a converter.

Also he has sponsored several catered tech sessions at his shop, and given prizes for Mercedes Benz and MBCA events .

I always enjoyed visiting with him and my wife did, also. Though it has been about 5 years or more since I talked to him, and I don't live in San Francisco anymore...

I have been inside his home in the hills, near Berkeley, and it looks like a museum in there. It's awesome.

And then there's his garage at home. OMG. The racing SLC "green machine" is in there. Plus about a million years worth of old Mercedes Benz and AMG literature, books, magazines, and stuff.

·
Registered
2009 SL65, 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
403 Posts
Red 500SEC

I saw Mr T driving a red SEC convertible in downtown Chicago back in the mid 1980s. It went well with his gold chains and hair-do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts