Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Two OG's GTG in the LBD's" Or: Two good friends Get Together at the Long Beach Docks

As some of you may know, our very own "AzimuthAviation" bought a 40' Cris Craft "Conqueror" boat last week docked in Long Beach Marina. The boat was in "Very Rough" condition, but it was berthed in her own slip and currently in the water. When he first showed me the eBay ad (Yes, that right it was on FleaBay) I was saying "Yeah, cool, just what I would want." I put the condition at about the same as was my coupe when I bought her. Rough looking but still a lot of life left in her. Roy and I have similar tastes and skill sets, so when I saw pics of her, I knew immediately what he was thinking and thought "Brilliant". I know Roy is completely up to a good challenge and this boat is like finding that Barn find 190SL or Pagoda. It's a mess but it's all there and you can see what she will become.

Roy made the final arrangements and purchased the boat and emailed me that he would be down this week to secure it and go over her and start getting her seaworthy. We talked in the beginning of the week and was going to try to do a JY run, but the week slipped by and I wanted to catch up with Roy, so he invited me down to see his new baby.

I set out Saturday morning down to Long Beach and called the guys of the SoCal Krew to see if we could gang up on Roy, but everyone had plans and could not get away, so I'm flying solo...

I left Lancaster about 10:30 and it was a cold and crisp 47 degrees with the clouds still hanging around from the morning rain that had just fallen. I live at the top of the mountains in SoCal. When you are in Los Angeles and you look North, there is that mountain range that everyone sees the pics of. I live over the other side of those Mountains in what we call the "High Desert" or "Antelope Valley". Don't ask me why they call it that, there are no Antelope here, nor there ever were. Some idiot 150 years thought there were or something.

The Antelope Valley is famous for one thing: Aviation. We have it here in spades. They built the Shuttles about 3 miles from my house and the hangers are still there. They built the B-1 and B-2 here. They repair them here and they fly in and out of here all the time. My house is over the RHTP for Plant 42 so when they are in a Right Hand Traffic Pattern, they fly downwind and base leg over my house. Edwards is only 20 miles away and we have sonic booms all the time.

Whenever we leave the AV (Antelope Valley) we say we are going "Down Below" because anywhere we go, is down in elevation...

As I left the AV I had to go through Acton, a little town on the way down and there was a bank of low clouds/fog and here are some pics:

I actually needed the GPS to find my way to his marina. It was down in the middle of the industrial section of Long Beach Harbor. There were huge train bridges and Trains full of containers everywhere. Then I turn down this little road and it opens into a very nice cluster of a couple of marinas. As I start to go down there road I am starting to see nicer cars. LOTS of Benzes! I see a 126 in 172 Gray and I think it's Roy's. Some guy is vacuuming it out and washing it and I think "Damn! They will even do that for you here?". I yell out to him "Is that Roy's car?" and he looks at me like I'm an idiot. I am cuz it's not... So I keep going. Another 126... 116... couple of 124's... A 56 Porsche 356 C!

I come down the road, make a right and Boom! There is Bad Girl on the left. No mistake this time! Penta's and a coupe nose! That's Roy's Bad Girl alright! So I cozy my "Good Girl" up next to her so they won't be lonely:

I walk over to the gate to the marina and there's Capt. Roy to greet me:

Down we go to the docks and to his berth:

And here is the view as you are going down to his berth of the surrounding boats and what it looks like:

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

The entrance to his berth:

A jump up to the Forecastle (pronounnced: "fo'csle"):

Now a jump up to the Weather Deck:

Here's our intrepid Captain Roy, looking boldly into the future:

Roy is pulling the old Bimini top off to be patterned and reproduced:

Let's go aboard and look her over:

Here is an overall view:

Starboard side:

The docks were VERY unstable! They had a lot of "Roll" And it wasn't just my big ass either! Wen Roy walked out it started to lean like it was on barrels. So we walked down the middle one at a time and boarded. I made sure to secure my camera and stuff before I went around the boarding stairs. As I walked around the whole dock leaned outboard and I had to grab the stanchions of the boat to stabilize myself. Kinda scary! Gotta fix that!

Here is the main cockpit as you enter the starboard side looking forward and you see our host welcome us and logging into BW to check on thr doings of the day:

In the above picture you are looking forward into the fwd berth. It has it's own head which Ros is going to convert to a "Wet Head" (One with a shower). See the three mail windows? Plans are to mount a 42" plasma TV on a retractable RV style mount so when you sit in the settee in the main salon, you will look forward to see the Plasma display.

You can see the door to the head partially open. You can see the cabinet of the galley there with what looks like a wine rack. It's not, just that boats didn't have drawers in the galley, You reach in. Also notice the V-Berth, Roy has two boys and one of the appealing aspects of this boat and layout was this for his boys.

Now here is a look into the fwd berth:

Now step back a few feet and here is the Galley:

Plans for the galley are to fully modernize it and bring it up to modern specs. Current fridge technology is very advanced and that large a cabinet is not needed, so all of that cabinetry will be updated.

And now I turn left and face aft:

You see the "Mail Salon", and in the right aft you see the entrance to the aft main cabin going down. The ladder going up goes out to the Main Bridge. This is a "Fair Weather" single station ship. Meaning that there is only one set of controls, and that is outside in the weather and that kinda limits the weather you can sail in. Some later boats of this class would have another control station about where Roy was sitting so that you could pilot in rougher weather. But this is a "Day Cruiser"

On the bulkhead you can see the Barometer and ships clock. All of the wood, hell the whole boat from stem to stern needs a good going over with 60 grit paper. But all of the parts are there. All off the fittings are there. They just need to be removed and blasted and re-plated or whatever. There are boards that need to be replaced for sure, but the boat is sound and seaworthy.

Here is the hatch I came in from:

There is an identical one opposite on the port side too.

Now if you go port side aft you will see the aft cabin:

And down the ladder:

That Door knob and door lead to the aft head. It was really big and I could easily get in and move around, so if he wanted to put a shower in there, it would be doable, and enough room for a person to move around.. You can see the ladder and hatch that lead to the fantail.

Looking fwd you see the dresser and closet:

This is looking out the hatch onto the fantail. That lever is a crane control That's right. There is a built in crane that is stowed in those deck hatches. You open them, secure the crane to one of two fittings in the deck and you operate the crane from there to raise or lower your Tender or Jet Ski/Toys in and out of the water.

Here we are standing on the fantail/"poopdeck":

You can see the ladder going up to the bridge. Roy says he has plans to make the bridge deck extend back and enclose this area either as storage, or to enlarge the aft cabin a bit. That would give more deck space around the bridge station and more enclosed storage, which is always wanted on any vessel.

Here is a side pic of the fantail area from the dock:

So if you picture that top deck being extended back and then down to that railing, and this whole area being enclosed.

A look up to the bridge entrance:

And a look forward along the waist:

You can see all of the stanchions are intact and you can see the ladder that in hanging over the side. It is a hinged ladder doing double duty. Dockside you can see the level it is.. Out in the water you can fold it open and climb onboard from in the water.

Now here we are standing on the aft deck looking forward to the bridge. You can see the hatch just port of the bridge station that goes into the Main Salon. See the lounge chair on the right? If you look closely, you will see a window behind it. If you look at the pic with the TV and Fridge, that is the same window as behind and above the TV. Plans are to install a window A/C unit there.

Pics of the bridge area and station:

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A look out from the bridge:

The engine room is under the main salon deck and here are a couple of pics:

Starboard side #2 Engine and secondary FS system bottle. The Primary Fire Suppression System is a HUGH bottle laying on it's side:

Port #1 Engine:

I am looking in through an access hatch that is the step down to the galley area Roy was sitting in. If these engines need major work (Like removing the carbs as he is doing now) the deck plates (made of plywood) are removed and you can easily access the whole of both motors.

After my tour of his boat, we were hungry and set off for lunch... So we went to a local burger dive and had an appropriately greasy burger. I had been saving my calories all week for a nice weekend binge and this was worthy...

Then after a nice meal we went to a "True Value" hardware store that was like stepping back into 1952. Bins and bins of hardware. Real hardware, not Home Depot. Like every set screw known to man. Every type of a cotter pin you could imagine. Roy pick up some needed items and we headed back to the boat. We were talking about his experiences on her in the last week or so aboard, and he said that he caught a baby 4 foot Thresher Shark the night before, as well as some fish too.

Roy said that he intended to get it seaworthy enough to sail her up to Sacramento where he lives so that he can finish the restoration and enjoy it with his family. I said "You going to sail her alone" He said yes. I offered my services as First Mate and said he could not to that journey alone because of his family... He readily agreed and I listened to his plan. He is going to have her pulled out of the water and have the hull and bottom scraped, resealed, bad boards replaced and then repainted in modern marine paint. Agreed! Yes! Let's have a seaworthy boat! Roy says the motors were recently rebuilt and they are low hours since rebuild, but have been sitting and so the jets were clogged in the carbs. They are Rochester Q-Jet Carbs and he already had the rebuild kits and was working on them when I got there.

The motors fired up he said, but were not stable. Carbs clogged! Once the carbs are done and the motors run smoothly, we are going to take her out on the harbor for a day cruise and if that is successful, then the next time maybe a run out to Catalina for the day.

Then, once that benchmark is passed, it will go for bottom cleaning/sealing/painting. During that process he will continue to refit her bridge station so she can be controlled and monitored properly at sea. Once she is ready for open ocean, then the plan is for 5 hops. The first days run will be from Long Beach to Santa Barbara. Overnight there and then the next run will be up to San Luis Obispo. My Uncle lives there and so did my grandmother, so I know the area. The next days run will be up to Monterey and a visit to the Aquarium there. Day fours leg will be into San Francisco Bay and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Roy at first said "Let just make the run up the Delta in one run!" I said "Hell No! We gotta do Frisco! Two Sailors in the Port of Frisco? Gotta do China Town and Fishermans Wharf!" So of course he agreed to that. Then day five and final leg will be up the Sacramento Delta and to her new digs... Roy will then complete the restoration there and I am sure get his boys involved and in love with her like I am sure he is.

So we made plans to take her on the harbor cruise next weekend, and we'll see how she does.

After concluding out plans I said I needed to pick up Mapeaso to take him to pick up the "Orient Express" out near Oxnard.

So I bid Roy "Farewell and smooth sailing" and he raised the bottle of Champagne that we will use to Christen her with:

Or you going to drink that tonight???? Roy???

Well that concluded my visit with Roy. I then headed to Mapearso's and I will finish that part later. That was a real mind blower! Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
1982 380sl
87 Posts
Great pics. What an interesting journey.:thumbsup:

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Some more VERY good naval photojournalism !!!

Sounds like you had yourself a well deserved break fronm the engine rebuild.

It rained in San Francisco yesterday !!!! :mad:

What's the vessel gonna be called?

"Never Again II ? ":D

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Roy, you have accomplished such a lifestyle change in the past year, it is inspiring, if not endearing. I always loved the 50's Chris Crafts, especially those magohany woodies (22' or less?)...saw a lot of those in Tahoe during the '80's.

I'm up for a boat trip as well, hit me up anytime if you want a nav/outlook guy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1982 380sl
87 Posts
Looks like fun!

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
"First order of business should be to install some Euro lights."

The motors fired up he said, but were not stable. Carbs clogged!
Wasn't that the story with the coupe nose?! I'd say that's a good omen!!

BTW, I can see the Catalina islands from my backyard so you better holla at me...I'm on a research year so plenty of time to patrol the channel.

·
Registered
1982 380sl
87 Posts
These pics make me long for the water.:)

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics Restored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts