Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is an 05 500. The truck has been very good through 91K but I'm now having two nagging issues that I need some help. A bit long, so stay with me. Thanks.

Issue #1: ABS/BAS/ESP Thing - The Leftmost Amber Light
Last time this happened to me the truck was still under warranty and the entire steering column had to be replaced, and it took forever. Now, it comes on, usually when I sit idling with foot on brake. The last time it came on, the truck was idling on my driveway, I was outside and noticed that the rear brake lights flashed as the BAS/ABS/ESP thing happened. Lately, however, it will come on basically a few minutes after I start driving, so something is changing and causing this warning condition. Last night on my way to Rochester, NY (that's a 8hr drive from home base), I noticed that on cruise control, when the warning comes on, it disables cruise completely (. At a gas stop approximately 2.5Hrs from my destination, I did the steering angle sensor maneuver and that seemed to solve the problem - the light never came on but I could feel cruise kick off a few minutes after getting back on the road. I did a cruise cancel and reset and all seemed to be fine for the rest of the trip. What is going on? BTW, the light is back up again today, but not on any particular schedule!

Issue #2 - Parking Brake Problem
It looks like mine is broken - and this may be my fault. Usually when I wash the truck, I just drive it back into the garage, park and engage the parking brake - I don't like engaging P without the parking brake engaged. Whenever I do that, the brake pads get "welded" onto the rotors and it seems to take a large force to get them unstuck - large enough that on one occasion one of the tires was just dragging for several feet before it finally "popped." I think that popping is a very bad thing. I washed last week and as I was leaving for Rochester yesterday, it popped loudly. I drove around for a while, braking intermittently, to clean the rotors and pads. I parked on a flat surface and when I got into R, it popped again. Now in Rochester, I notice that the parking brake definite needs adjustment - it's softer than ever. It holds well when inclined forwards (downhill with truck facing downhill) but with rear facing downhill, I have to give a lot xtra pedal travel to hold the truck. Are both issues related? Advice please. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
Th first issue sounds like a Brake Light Sw. problem. Remove the switch and re-install following the instructions.

The popping sound could be a parking brake cable or a stuck caliper piston. You will only find out if you stop using the parking brake.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Im having a similar problem with the ABS light darkmann. Mine will not reset when i do the wheel turning thing, but comes on very intermittently and under the same circumstances. My brake light switch was changed last year and i thought all three lights to the left on the cluster usually come on when its faulty?
I need to get my codes read with STAR when its on, but im thinking it may be Lateral Acceleration Sensor or worse, the Yaw Rate Sensor.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Im having a similar problem with the ABS light darkmann. Mine will not reset when i do the wheel turning thing, but comes on very intermittently and under the same circumstances. My brake light switch was changed last year and i thought all three lights to the left on the cluster usually come on when its faulty?
I need to get my codes read with STAR when its on, but im thinking it may be Lateral Acceleration Sensor or worse, the Yaw Rate Sensor.
The trio of lights does not always come on with the brake switch. Turning the wheel to both sides is to reset the steering angle sensor, typically something you'd do after disconnecting the battery. You could have another bad switch... I've gone through two in a year before.

Believe me, it's much cheaper to start there than with a lat or yaw sensor.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
The trio of lights does not always come on with the brake switch. Turning the wheel to both sides is to reset the steering angle sensor, typically something you'd do after disconnecting the battery. You could have another bad switch... I've gone through two in a year before.

Believe me, it's much cheaper to start there than with a lat or yaw sensor.
Thanks for the tip. Ill start with changing it out again.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Darkmann. Try the automatic slack adjuster above the rear propshaft. Takes five mins. Its just chock the wheels, take off e brake, crawl under the truck, get a hex key and turn i think anti clock wise till it stops. It a funny shapped toothed cog. Get in the truck and depress the e brake a few times. It may help.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darkmann. Try the automatic slack adjuster above the rear propshaft. Takes five mins. Its just chock the wheels, take off e brake, crawl under the truck, get a hex key and turn i think anti clock wise till it stops. It a funny shapped toothed cog. Get in the truck and depress the e brake a few times. It may help.
That's a great tip. Will try it as soon as I can. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
43sqd, I thought I read someplace, maybe here, that the got rid of the brake switch for my model year. I'll check anyway. And thanks for the response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts