Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the front where all the belts are at, there is a pulley for two belts. Mine had only one, and I took it into the shop for new belts--and they only put one on instead of two. Is this a big deal or is it ok with just one?

I drove cross country with just one, so it should be with just one, right?

I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't put two--as they are the ones that pointed out it takes two.

Regardless, does it matter if there is one or two?

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are numerous belts, but one of the pulleys is made for two to run together (right next to the other one).

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
when you buy the belts, they should come in a matched set for the one with the dual pulleys. At least they do when you buy them from MB, you may have to purchase two elsewhere. 5 belts total.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
Yes the matched pair is for power steering. As johnhef said, there should be 5 total.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

Is it a problem if there is only one instead of the matched set of two? Just wondering if I should get another belt and add it or if I'm ok for now.

TIa

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
guarddog said:
Thanks...

Is it a problem if there is only one instead of the matched set of two? Just wondering if I should get another belt and add it or if I'm ok for now.

TIa
If you are missing a steering belt, I wouldn't waste much time in regard to purchasing and installing a new belt pair.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TEUTONE

Thanks man! Extremely helpful. Appreciate it.

GermanStar said:
If you are missing a steering belt, I wouldn't waste much time in regard to purchasing and installing a new belt pair.
Good deal, I wasn't too worried, but will wait on it until it really bothers me and I've finished all my other little projects. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
The alternater has a pulley that will fit 2 belts, but the crank pulley will not accomadate another belt. It tricked me the first time I saw it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts