Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tempted to add this to the 5th Gear Thread, but thought it worty of a new thread.

I'll wait to see the 5th Gear show for a final opinion, but my bet is that the TV crew wanted to have some dramatic pictures of tire smoke and the SLK55 out of shape, sideways in a turn for the TV cameras. I'll bet they were disappointed when the SLK was so well behaved in spite of their attempts to show their ability to recover from self-induced attempts to "look good."

If you've seen the show, tell me that I'm wrong.

Yes there is a way to turn off the EDC completely on our SLKs. But IMHO no sane person really needs the EDC completly off if they are really interested in the fastest way around a racetrack (and certainly not in normal driving on slippery pavement.) How many times have you seen a racecar in a real race on pavement routinely driving with the tail hanging out and smoke pouring off the rear tires?

It may not be as exciting and does not make for award-winning TV, but we can leave the burning rubber, squealing tires and locked steering wheels for dirt trackers, Marvin Sweatsock and the Corvette/Camero crowd and,oh, yes, the TV shows.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
I totally agree with you slk55er. After all F1 had such systems to gain track speed advantage, but they were then banned to try to enhance the visuals.

I have no experience yet with the Mercedes system (SLK350 delivery due in June...) but with BMWs they certainly don't spoil the experience for road driving, just stop you getting too scared if you hit an unexpected slippery patch of road. Also seems to help tyre life compared with my previous cars without.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
There si a way to completely turn off EDC. One of the reviews in a car mag told how to do it. I forget which one. It had to do with putting the car in service mode and then using the + and - buttons on the side of the left dash pod to nav through menus to do it.

I would not ever do it my self. What I don't like is the button on the dash turns off the corning control but nt traction. I hate that if I want to launch the car from a dead stop I can't. The tracction control kicks in. You can't spin the tires!

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I have spun the tyres, not much, but foot down and they will spin.
Search the forum for how to turn everything off, its been posted a few times here

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
joyfulheart - 4/1/2005 9:04 AM

Search the forum for how to turn everything off, its been posted a few times here
Mine will not spin. Traction control kicks in fast.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
My car will spin seriously with the ESP off - not in Dyno-Mode which is what the "Truly" off mode is called.
I fishtailed recently on winter wheels with only ESP off and nailing it in first.

Snowball - 4/1/2005 1:35 PM

joyfulheart - 4/1/2005 9:04 AM

Mine will not spin. Traction control kicks in fast.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Same here. Just having ESP off via the button allows a healthy dose of horseplay. Lots of wheelspin at launch and instant throttle-on "U-turns" on demand. Fun but my rear tires have surely lost twice as much treadlife than they should have at the current mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts