Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether TV on models supplied to the Australian markets used digital or analogue.

If digital, the free to air stations here have changed frequency, and I can't figure out how to find them.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Analogue for the Aussie cars. It is possible to add a digital turner to it if you wish.

Dean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean, many thanks. That explains why I've lost all my channels. I'll check about getting them updated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dean, I'm in Melbourne. My S 350 is a 2002 model, so I don't think it's MOST capable. My MB dealer seems not to know a lot about the matter, so any help I can give him will be appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Tell your dealer to look up Documents AZ82.60-p-0007MA & AZ82.60-p-0007M in WIS and it should have all the info he needs.
Part nos. will depend on you vin.
For vin up to A078550 number is B6 782 64 22
For vin as of A078551 number is B6 782 64 23
This is for model year up to 2003.

Dean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dean, I just had a call from my dealer who tells me that the part I need is no longer available. He also says that he knows someone who is working on an alternative, but it isn't likely to be cheap. It's handy to have TV in the car, but with such limited use it doesn't make sense to incur a big outlay.

I noticed that your S 430 is the same year as my S 350, and am just curious as to what you did.

Regards

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Dean. That sounds like a fairly major and expensive exercise. I will probably be better off saving my money for things that may go wrong.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Not that bad cost me about $800 and the dash mod is quick and easy, just have to cut the upper mounts for the timber veneer. I post more details when I get home from work tonight.

Dean

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Details

The unit cost me 698USD to have delivered with the camera and dtv tuner. The install is very simple, But you will need an adapter in order to use the standard GPS antenna I used this one - RFShop Australia Pty Ltd > Store .
If you have an amp you will need to use the long cable that comes with the unit to bypass it, I didn't have the amp so it was not needed. The only modding needed it to trim the dash once you have the command unit out, pic will show you where to cut (both sides need to be cut).
The only problems once done are that you can not set the clock in the instrument panel from it and the menu buttons on the steering wheel work the menu and skip the tracks forward or backward when used, all other buttons on the steering wheel work as normal.
There will no longer be directions in the instrument panel display when using the GPS, not a problem to me as I only ever used the audio from the standard nav unit anyway.

Dean

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
The easy is to simulate the tuner by fitting one of the adapters into the comand 2.5 and you can use any digital into this box, the only snag is they cost about £200

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
There are other ways too, one of which came with the car for me (Cable and DTV tuner to connect to the factory wiring). This was an upgrade which I preferred as I now have DVD, BT, USB, SD, DTV, AUX input, Reversing camera, better NAV and widescreen. I can even add a DVD stacker and Amp to the system (mounted in the factory locations).

Dean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many thanks, Dean and Malcolm. I'll talk to my MB dealer and see what we can do.

Kind regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts