Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 500E
12 Posts
From memory, there is a lever in the engine bay, alongside the inner wing at the top. I think it is near the expansion chamber for the radiator?? hope this helps,
upo.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
I believe that knob is only for testing of the system.
4-Matic is a permanent all wheel drive system that is regulated via electronic control. When a problem is detected it goes into a default mode which merely turns off the slip control and torque biasing ability.
The "4-Matic" remains operable.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi.

To disable the 4-Matic operation, flip up the "test lever" between the wind screen fluid tank and expansion chamber. That will completlely bypass the transfer case, and it will be 100% 2WD.

Do not drive prolonged around in test modus (2WD) without a good reason. The controller doesn't like it.

In 97, the 4ETS was introduced in the W210. That's a permanent 60/40 4WD system, and can not be disabled. If the front propeller shaft ever should break on one of these, it would not budge at all.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Thanks for that clarification NordStern. You are correct. I was confusing 4-matic with the later 4ETS which is a truly permanent all wheel drive system and can not be disabled. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts