Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

my ml was fine i drove it about 30 miles from home and stopped to put gas in it and it would not start back up......i had it towed home and upon getting it here it started again checked under neith the hood and the oil seemed to be extreamly low hardley none in there.... checked under the undercarage and there seemed to be a conciderable amount of oil there.... is there some kind of sensor that shuts the engine down or from starting if the oil gets to low?

i cant figure out why this has happened or if i have a severe oil leak

any help is great thanks

·
Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
434 Posts
it looks like you just got this truck used? anyway, welcome newbie.. you will find a great deal of info here... I would recommend that you first try the SEARCH button. You will find a lot of info, including how to change your oil.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Normally, if your engine oil runs low, there will be a light, on the dashboard, that will turn on that will indicate you are low in oil. Just 1 or 2 quarts low will trigger the oil light to come on. The ML uses around 8 quarts of oil.

If you can measure some oil with your dipstick, then you should still be safe. Are you sure your ML is on a level floor..?

Have you check the floor of your garage where you park every night..? to see how much oil you have on the floor... Sudden engine oil leaks are kind of rare on the ML's..

Normally, the leaks come from the power steering hoses, from the power steering reservour orings leaking, or from the power steering rack.. Are you sure it is engine oil and not power steering fluid..? ML's are known to have problems for almost all ML years.... and they had several versions of the power steering hose clamps, too, so you need to be sure you have the latest clamp update or you may end up stranded..

For the engine not starting, normally is the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) failing.. Kind of easy to change, you will need to search for the DIY instructions on how to do it.. There are other reasons, fuel pump, etc.. but you may want to have it check out in a dealer.. Hopefully they will not reap/string you off like they have done to several people.. so be carefull.. You may want to get a second opinion if the repair is too expensive..

Good luck...

AC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts