Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get the Euro Amber Turn signal, the darker orange one? The ones I found are so expensive, it's not even worth getting.

Also, where can I get the smoked clear, not the white clear?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Can you tell us where you saw the Euro turn corners? I believe that Ebay almost always has those smoked corners, and I think the seller sells them in pairs.

http://search.ebay.com/w123-corner_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

This one looks European, it's darker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958854805&category=33708&sspagename=WDVW

...but it's only one side. Not sure if it's a real Euro turn signal lens, the seller should know.

Maybe somebody here is parting out their Euro corners for a different set.

These are the smoked corners:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42613&item=7958264252&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw them on German eBay, but I assume they're Euro, cause, I don't think they'll be using U.S. turn signal, will they? [:D]

Some of these owner doesn't know whether their turn signals are European or not [:(]

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
i didnt know euro turn signals and US were different [:I]

whats the difference about them, arent they both fully orange?

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
banflu - 3/6/2005 6:47 AM

i didnt know euro turn signals and US were different [:I]

whats the difference about them, arent they both fully orange?
Luckily, my car has one US turn signal and one euro turn signal on it.[^]So, here's a picture of them. The top one is Euro, and the bottom is the US version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
ah, i see. the US one seems to have a smaller reflector.

i got white indicators and they too have smaller reflectors inside, US style. i wonder why they are designed in this way?

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
banflu - 3/6/2005 5:45 PM

ah, i see. the US one seems to have a smaller reflector.

i got white indicators and they too have smaller reflectors inside, US style. i wonder why they are designed in this way?
The US ones actually have bigger reflectors in them. The Euro one is the pic at the top, the US one is the pic at the bottom. By the way, do these white indicators have the yellow reflectors in them?
-Joe

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
i think they are exactly like the us style lamps but the lens is clear and the bulb is orange.

like this: http://www.modworld.1st-hosting.co.uk/catalog/images/123-100.jpg

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
banflu - 3/7/2005 8:39 AM

i think they are exactly like the us style lamps but the lens is clear and the bulb is orange.

like this: http://www.modworld.1st-hosting.co.uk/catalog/images/123-100.jpg
I believe that is a European version. On the image, there is no division between the reflector and the main lens. It seems that US version lenses have a crescent moon shaped reflector, whereas the European seem to have none.

Here is the one you posted, and compare it to my US version with the crescent moon shape reflector on the right half of it:

Here's H-Townbenzboy's:

Here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
yes that is true. but take a look at my attached pic. the highlighted piece is the reflector on this white blinker, it is the part that actually lights up.

on my original euro indicators, the whole indicator lights up. i dont know exactly how to explain it, but it does have a bigger reflector.. the reflector is the same size as the whole cluster, so to speak.

do the US indicators have a smaller reflector like these clear ones?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
banflu - 3/7/2005 1:08 PM

yes that is true. but take a look at my attached pic. the highlighted piece is the reflector on this white blinker, it is the part that actually lights up.

on my original euro indicators, the whole indicator lights up. i dont know exactly how to explain it, but it does have a bigger reflector.. the reflector is the same size as the whole cluster, so to speak.

do the US indicators have a smaller reflector like these clear ones?
Oh OK I get it now. The inside reflectors are much larger in the European version than in the US version, yes. I was pertaining to the outside reflectors, the ones that light up when you shine a light onto them [8)]

However it seems to me that the inside reflectors of both the white/clear one you posted and the US versions are similar.

Now this is getting me to want European turn indicators too [:D]

(fight temptation, fight temptation!!)

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
yep thats what i meant. sorry i did not attach a pic, i dont know what happened with the site, but i think you get my point now [:)]

so the US ones have a reflector on the side.. hmm i wondered why they had to make different versions! [:D]

why would you want euro indicators? just get smoked ones [;)] i really dont like orange indicators! but thats just me [;)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
It's cool, I understand what you mean. Yeah the site bummed out of me too! Couldn't get back for a few good minutes. I too wonder why the European ones had no outside reflectors... [?]

I would like to retain the warmth of the amber turn signals, which smoked ones obviously don't have. My car is a beige color, so it's quite warm already. But removing the amber indicators up front would make the front look cold and create an imbalance with the car's rear amber turn signals.

Besides, I don't have European headlights. If I did have Euro headlights then I'd definitely get the smoked ones as a dress up and swap them depending on the mood.[8D]

My philosophy with regards to how I like my car to be is just the way Germans like them--discreet. That's why I will get the E-code lights instead of the European ones first. It's only when you look real close will you notice any difference. [:)]

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
hehe i see what you mean. it sure looks like it from your car pic!

however this is only my opinion here, if you really want it to look german shouldnt you get the euro lights? to make it look completely like the designers wanted it to look instead of how the US gov't wanted it to look?

me.. i wouldnt want my car to look so standard. i like to show that the car is mine. maybe you would not understand me but in Malta the W123 is quite a common car unfortunately, a lot of them being taxis :( so the prestige is virtually non-existant with these cars [:(]
so theres no point in leaving the car as standard as possible since this is what most 123s look like! might as well make it look like i want it to look, a bit better IMO.. i dont want ppl to look at it and say yeah its just another old merc. i want them to say yeah that a nice old merc [;)]
thats why i picked a nice dark color, got the 16" rims, clear corners, window tints and whats not [:)]

i know it might not be to everyones liking but that imagina if all mercs looked the same.. wouldnt that be boring [;)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Schmoney, have you found your Euro or smoked turn indicators yet?

Banflu, I realize your name is also Patrick. Me too. There are 3 of us now here in BW [:D]

I understand your position. Here there are also several other W123s roaming around. In fact I saw one a while ago but it was a non-turbo diesel and looked like it had better days. I've seen other W123s here that also have European headlights, they look neat!

Good point on the German version's original look. Admittedly I am also limited financially [:D]

About Mercs looking the same, aren't they already alike? Maybe it's the German styling (discreet/subtle differences) that still gets the best of me whenever I see a Merc drive past me. Another reason to love old school Mercs!!

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
how did you find out my name is patrick? [:)]

pleased to meet you Patrick [:D]

btw: my car used to have the older-style round headlights. but the reflectors had dimmed with use so we had to replace them, and got the newer style squarish ones instead. i like these better.
now when the car's in for the respray i will spray the inside grille black and will also make an avantgarde grille :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
You signed your name on your thread on the ball joints [:)]

Likewise, nice to meet you too!

Good idea on switching when the reflectors have dimmed. Since we have sealed beams over here, the reflectors are thrown away when the bulb goes out. Hence, it will need no replacing (until I get tired of these) [:D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts