Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

today my turn signals just randomly stopped working (1985 190e). When i indicate, nothing happens, no tick, no clicking, no indicator lights on dash, just nothing. Checked fuse in engine bay fuse box (fuse 11 is the only one that mentions turnsignals) but its good (and horn still goes)

I have a haynes manual and afaik the big black relay box behind the fuse box contains the turn signal relay (am i correct?). pulled this out removed its cover and checked it our, looks fine.

also found a relay under the dash, no idea what it does but it doesnt get any power to it when the turn signals are on (and by on I mean when ive moved the stalk).

so now Im stumped. Does anyone have any other ideas or theorys? Everything else works fine. I have no idea how to remove the steering colum surround to get access to the indicator/wiper stalk, as I suspected the switch itself may be at fault. all the other funtions of the stalk work fine, ie highbeam, wiper etc.

any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
It could be the actual switch, they sometimes get dirty or just go bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do I get access to the switch? I kinda figured i have to take off the steering wheel in order to remove the plastic colum surrounds?

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I dont think you have to take off the steering wheel, although I may be wrong. There are two screws holding on the lower plastic molding. This may give you access or allow you to take off the top molding also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have removed the panel from above the pedals, but cant see any screws, and it feels like its held on near the steering wheel. pity i dont have the right size bit to take the wheel off

ah well, its booked into the shop tomorrow, but no doubt it will take days and lots of money....

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Do your 4 ways work? There's a relay inside the fuse panel about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's called a combination switch and looks like this. Check into that.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
i would try turnig you hazards on the off and see if that works. sounds crazy but i had the same issue and it was just the hazard switch acting up.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
hunted: If you send the car to a shop for such an easy fix... Man.. I would never! (I do my own work anyway. Better than most shops will!)

Mine do that sometimes. Horn quits working also when the blinkers quit. What I do is turn the emergency flashers on and off and like magic, they all work again.

Does the wiring for the blinkers run through the emergency flasher switch? Seems like it to me.

edit: insame1, I didn't even see your post. That's funny. Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just flicked the hazards on and off a few times, and it dam well fixed the indicators haha. cheers guys, glad I saw this, was just about to head into the shop

It would have been the first time in 5 years of owning cars (im only 21) that ive ever taken one to the shop, its just all this euro technology scares me haha. Im used to older cars

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
I dont think you have to take off the steering wheel, although I may be wrong. There are two screws holding on the lower plastic molding. This may give you access or allow you to take off the top molding also.
no the wheel must come off..

I have removed the panel from above the pedals, but cant see any screws, and it feels like its held on near the steering wheel. pity i dont have the right size bit to take the wheel off

ah well, its booked into the shop tomorrow, but no doubt it will take days and lots of money....
wheel needs to come off

just flicked the hazards on and off a few times, and it dam well fixed the indicators haha. cheers guys, glad I saw this, was just about to head into the shop

It would have been the first time in 5 years of owning cars (im only 21) that ive ever taken one to the shop, its just all this euro technology scares me haha. Im used to older cars
sounds like a dirty hazard switch, good to have a few extras as they go bad easily.

·
Registered
1991 350 SDL
1 Posts
Easy fix

Signals stopped working the other day. Fuse was fine. Relay was my next thought. Tried this and sure enough, they work again. Thanks for sharing this trick. . :grin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts