Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I would really appreciate your help. Recently I started having some turn signal/hazard light situations. Here's what I know. When the turn signals go out so does the hazard light. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. When I start the car they'll come on for a second then stop, or they won't. I've replaced all fuses. The situation is the same. Two weird moments:

1. I sanded the turn signal fuse port and the turn signals worked perfectly all the way to work. I thought I'd solved it but then after work, and after about a 10 degree temperature change they had stopped again.

2. Last night driving home the signals weren't working again but if I hit the horn relatively hard they would come on. Then I just started to push the steering wheel and they'd come on as long as there was some kind of pressure on the column. Then that stopped working altogether.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't find anything specific on here that would relate to what's happening exactly. I hope this makes sense to someone and thanks very much.

Shane

·
Registered
239 Posts
Combination switch right beneath your steering wheel.
You could lube your CS first by spraying some contact cleaner....if it doesn't work then replace it with a new one.

Try to search the switch by using keywords like combination switch or N10 relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Earth ring? I'm not sure about that and searches didn't provide anything on the forum or google. I'm taking the steering wheel off now, polishing up the N10 didn't change the situation - so - cleaning the combo switch hopefully adds joy back into the mechanism. I'm enjoying doing this and as mechanically inclined as I am - which is very - I'm still not aware of all terminology or even a 10th of it. WTF is an earth ring? Hahaha h aaah mmmm. umm.? Yeah I just don't know.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took all the stuff apart and did end up finding an earth ring. My car's earth ring's name is Gary - super cool creature. I don't really like that he smokes a pipe in the steering column when I'm not in the car but you know what? He's lived there for 24 years so... Oh he grants wishes too - says him - we'll see. As of now I'm facing the same situation. I don't get why the working power is intermittent. Relay replacement is what I'm gonna try next. Relays are like little substations right? I feel like they're little substations.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
There's a relay in the box with the screw down holders. It's notorious for causing intermittent lighting troubles......famously known for cold solder joints.

I think somebody posted a pic of it fairly recently.....long bugger.

Kevin

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dont mess about in there with the battery connected up. Also go through all the fuses in the fuse box as well .Electronic switch cleaner is what you need for cleaning out the stalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Yeah I did all that with a disconnected battery. Although you're saying don't mess with relays with the battery connected correct? I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 15 min before taking apart the steering column and investigating the combo switch. Same with relays. Sprayed everything with contact cleaner. But when I replace the relay I should again disconnect the battery?

Thanks man.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So guess what? The turn signals are working with what seems like perfect ability and grace. Although every time I say that they end up stopping so we'll see when I go into work tonight. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,977 Posts
I would recommend you exercise your hazard light switch. Turn it off and on about 100 times. If you can get some contact cleaner in the switch, all the better.

Seems when the hazard light switch has issues, so do the turn signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts