Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to benzworld,lots of great info.Thanks in advance.I have a 1994 e320 and have been having turn signal problems.Seems they work when they want to work.For example they will work then all the sudden stop,may start back shortly are may not work until tomorrow r the next day.This has been going on for sometime now,but they always start back.It seems now they are staying off for longer periods at a time.Also for a added note when they stop my emergency flasher stop working.They have worked for as long as 6 months at a time,but lately been stopping a lot more often.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1996 S124 E220 - 1985 VW T3 1.9DG Camper - 1998 BMW E36 328i Cabriolet
662 Posts
Diagnosis for failed signal lights

Hello and welcome to you and your 320.

As you are reporting inoperative hazard lights when the indicators fail, it seems most probable that you have a bad relay rather than a problem with the control stalk or any specific wiring.

It's called the N10 relay and it controls the wipers, indicators, hazards & maybe a few other functions - some or all of these can be affected by a relay fault. You'll find it located in the fuse box - look for a black box a little smaller than a cigarette packet towards the back.

First off, remove it and check for visible damage like broken connectors / contacts. If it looks ok, try spraying it and the socket with contact cleaner and replacing firmly. If the flashers fail again, pull over immediately and try wiggling the relay in it's mount... if you can find a position in which the flashers work again by doing that, simply wedge it to keep it in that position with a piece of folded card or whatever and it will probably cure the problem for a while.

If this doesn't work, replace the relay. I had to change mine recently - they cost around £80 ($130) over here from MB but it will be possible to get a used part if you don't mind the risk of another dud.

The part number is 201 821 00 47

Report back if I'm wrong and I'm sure someone else will help you out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

As you are reporting inoperative hazard lights when the indicators fail, it seems most probable that you have a bad relay rather than a problem with the control stalk or any specific wiring.

It's called the N10 relay and it controls the wipers, indicators, hazards & maybe a few other functions - some or all of these can be affected by a relay fault. You'll find it located in the fuse box - look for a black box a little smaller than a cigarette packet towards the back.

First off, remove it and check for visible damage like broken connectors / contacts. If it looks ok, try spraying it and the socket with contact cleaner and replacing firmly. If the flashers fail again, pull over immediately and try wiggling the relay in it's mount... if you can find a position in which the flashers work again by doing that, simply wedge it to keep it in that position with a piece of folded card or whatever and it will probably cure the problem for a while.

If this doesn't work, replace the relay. I had to change mine recently - they cost around £80 ($130) over here from MB but it will be possible to get a used part if you don't mind the risk of another dud.

Moth thanks big time im going out and look in to that now. Thanks alot for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well i went out just now and guess what my fuse box only has fuses only in it,no additional relays.I guess some are different than others,but thanks the same.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,378 Posts
You only removed the top lid of the fuse box. The relays are located in the back portion by removing the screws holding the upper half of the fuse box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks i found the relay and sure enough i could move it one way and blinkers worked move it another and delay wipers worked,get just right and they both worked.Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1996 S124 E220 - 1985 VW T3 1.9DG Camper - 1998 BMW E36 328i Cabriolet
662 Posts
Well i went out just now and guess what my fuse box only has fuses only in it,no additional relays.I guess some are different than others,but thanks the same.
Sorry I should have added what sbaert wrote to my response, I also had the same trouble finding the relay the first time I tried to hunt it down. Nothing to do with being dumb, it's just one of those things we novices have to deal with on a regular basis. But the less you know about cars, the greater the satisfaction when you learn a new trick.

I may as well add one other thing that's always mentioned here regarding any electrical woes - it proved to be very good advice for me. Change all your fuses if you haven't already. They suffer corrosion due to their alloy construction and this can lead to annoying intermittent faults all around the electrical system. Use copper replacements and be careful to use the right colors of course. Not sure where in the USA they can be bought but there will definitely be info here if you search the forum for 124 fuses. Very cheap and easy preventative maintenance and well worth the effort while you're under the hood.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts

This was super useful and worked for me.

I ordered the part from eBay using the number above.

Here are a few things that may help:

The box that holds the relay is behind the fuse box. It's black, and right up against the firewall at the top of the engine compartment. Driver's side. To remove its cover, you open the fusebox and open the hood to the wide open position (press the buttons on each hinge)

You have to unscrew a few screws (4 if I recall correctly) to open the black box that holds the relay.

The old relay just pulls straight out; push the new one in, reinstall the cover and fuse box lid, you're done.

I cracked open the old relay, just to see if there was damage. I saw none. But my blinkers now work again.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E220
5 Posts
Had the same problem on my E220 W124. Relay was the culprit.

You most likely do not need to replace the relay. Disassemble the relay so you have access to the circuitboard, the. Get some fresh solder , preferable 50% lead/tin mix and go over all the solder joints adding the smallest amount of fresh solder and being careful not to damage components or join tracks.

On my relay, you could clearly see where some cracks had formed. Put back together and installed in car, best to have. Artery disconnected but I didn't bother to be honest. Problem fixed.

Have a thought for all the other solder joints in a 20+ year old car. Best have a soldering iron and skills and don't go anywhere near an untrusted mechanic who will throw parts at the car, charging a kings ransom for a 'new' relay, which is really just a grenade with a slightly longer fuse ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts