Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've been having problems switching on the high beam. when i switch the stalk back for high beam....the lights die. if i fiddle i get high beam.....low beam works fine.

my mechanic has told me that the wires inside the stalk sometimes get damaged / burnt / cut over time....hence a new unit is required.

if that is the case, i'd like to get a brand new unit.

does anyone know where i might be able to source one. thanks.

ps...sorry. this is in reference to the 300se (US spec).

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Do a google search with this in it...you'll get few places don't know who's OEm or best price.

w126 combination switch 126 464 09 43

While there I'd venture to do the same for your CC.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I have to do that chore(Combo Switch) to the Blue Bird. The Blue Bird has a factory option driver's airbag. I have to remove that first, then the steering wheel. Remember to disconnect the battery FIRST! (so as not to inadvertently set off the airbag.( repair manual says to do it, and I believe them)and the red air bag connector on or near the steering shaft.

I'll post an update when I get r done.

As to the Headlights going out. Check the high beam fuses and if they are aluminum get them out of the fuse box and change out all the fuses to copper ones. Alsio check your head light relay.
When I got Mariah my high beams would not work. I thought I checked the fuses, but I had not. both high beam fuses were not in the holders....don't know why. put new fuses in and have had high beams for over a year now.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
i've been having problems switching on the high beam. when i switch the stalk back for high beam....the lights die. if i fiddle i get high beam.....low beam works fine.

my mechanic has told me that the wires inside the stalk sometimes get damaged / burnt / cut over time....hence a new unit is required.

if that is the case, i'd like to get a brand new unit.

does anyone know where i might be able to source one. thanks.

ps...sorry. this is in reference to the 300se (US spec).
I had this exact same problem and it is the Turn combo switch. Replace that. Autohaus.az

It has nothing to do with your fuses, it is the stalk. The problem you described is the exact problem I had and fixed.

The only special tools you will need is a 1/2" drive breaker and 10MM Allen. Be sure to tap it in with a hammer. See my DIY

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
I have a different issue. I hardly drive at night but last weekend I did and when I ONLY make a RIGHT turn... blinker goes on and so does my Highbeams. If I barely hold the lever to the right no issue and only the blinker goes but if it's fully engaged I have this problem with the highs. Is it the switch? I was told it is just want another opinion.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Probably

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all. great info as usual....lifesavers!!

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I have to do that chore(Combo Switch) to the Blue Bird. The Blue Bird has a factory option driver's airbag. I have to remove that first, then the steering wheel. Remember to disconnect the battery FIRST! (so as not to inadvertently set off the airbag.( repair manual says to do it, and I believe them)and the red air bag connector on or near the steering shaft.

I'll post an update when I get r done.

As to the Headlights going out. Check the high beam fuses and if they are aluminum get them out of the fuse box and change out all the fuses to copper ones. Alsio check your head light relay.
When I got Mariah my high beams would not work. I thought I checked the fuses, but I had not. both high beam fuses were not in the holders....don't know why. put new fuses in and have had high beams for over a year now.
Chadahar, you've been getting your cars mixed up you've got so many.

Benz Playa!

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
No I didn't. Never had that problem with the Blue Bird.

Mariah's high beams didn't work when Jim Snagged the car a year ago March. Went on the drive the next weekend(met you at the Ikea parking lot) and later that day found the problem to be NO fuses in the high beam receptacles in the fuse box.

But you are right it gets confusing sometimes...especially when I change horses(cars) in the middle of a thought or post.....Old Timer's kicking in...LOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts