Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my turn signal is blinking continuously. If I indicate right, it blinks on the right. But in the neutral position or the left indicator position it blinks on the left.
That is, I can't turn the indicator off, I either indicate right or left, but in the off position, it still indicates a left turn.
If I take out the key, it stops blinking.
Is there a way to diagnose this and fix the problem. I can't drive the car like this as it is always indicating for a turn.
Paul

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Today my turn signal is blinking continuously. If I indicate right, it blinks on the right. But in the neutral position or the left indicator position it blinks on the left.
That is, I can't turn the indicator off, I either indicate right or left, but in the off position, it still indicates a left turn.
If I take out the key, it stops blinking.
Is there a way to diagnose this and fix the problem. I can't drive the car like this as it is always indicating for a turn.
Paul
Hey, Paul.
It's either the loose column issue or the combo switch is broken. Pull the steering wheel and start digging in.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg, what is the loose column issue? Where is the fuse for the indicator lights so I can pull it while I get this worked out? Where can I find a DIY to open the steering wheel? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz E320
43 Posts
Same thing happened to me last year. Blinkers would stay or, or just turn on by themselves. I installed a new signal stalk, which was really easy, and problem solved. I bought it from the local stealer, I don't remember exactly how much it was, somewhere around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Greg, what is the loose column issue? Where is the fuse for the indicator lights so I can pull it while I get this worked out? Where can I find a DIY to open the steering wheel? Thanks
When in doubt, check the stickies. ;)

There are a couple for the steering wheel and one for the loose signal issue, both are in this sticky category: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1368888-help-tips-diys-audio-interior-lighting.html

Nothing too difficult about any of it. That said, I would not just pull a fuse. One, it's against the law. Two, it could cause an accident. Even here, where turn indicators are whimsical, some people actually do use them and it helps tremendously.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did pull the fuse as there was no position in which the turn signal would stop flashing. So I need to replace the stalk ASAP. I would like to know from someone who has replaced the turn signal stalk. winerocks stated it was real easy to do. In reading about it, I understand I have to remove the airbag and the steering wheel. Is this easy to do and what could go wrong? I would like to hear from someone who has done this before, so I do not get in over my head. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz E320
43 Posts
When I replaced my signal stalk, I followed the instructions on the link above. I believe start to finish was around 20 minutes, and I took my time to make sure I didn't mess things up. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you start taking the airbag assembly off, and make sure you index the steering wheel before you take it off. Pretty straight forward DIY.
Good luck,
Winerocks

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed. I got the part (turn light switch) from autohausaz for $64 and had it installed by my indy. I needed it fixed asap for safety reasons. It works now. Thanks for all your help! Paul

·
Registered
2002 E320
107 Posts
There are a few threads with similar problems but I think this one starts out with the exact problem I was having with my 2002 E320. The pics in post #8 were helpful as were the ones here PeachPartsWiki: Repairing Loose Turn Signal / Cruise Stalks. While my turn signal wasn't loose it did need to be removed. I tried all the electronic resets described in various threads but to no avail. I removed the multi-stalk and gave it a few gentle taps with a screwdriver handle and voila!

I can add/reinforce the following: *You will need a breaker bar for the 10mm wheel nut.
*Go out and buy a 2 or 30 inch long T30 Torx bit. Anything else is just a pain.:mad:
*Once the clockspring assembly has been removed the female connector(s) (yellow at the 2 o'clock and white at the 7 o'clock position) are a pain to remove. The little tabs require several hands and small screwdrivers.
*I wasn't able to remove the cruise lever fully, and probably didn't really need to. I just folded it up out of the way.

Thanks to all who posted pics and tips. I think I just saved myself a few hundred bucks:D

·
Registered
2002 E430
24 Posts
My turn signal is stuck on left turn mode. Took the steering wheel off but I could take the final collar off. Seemed like the cabling was held in place by something. My stalk doesn't seem loose. I guess I just need to order a new switch from good ole Autohausz.
I also turned the ignition on without the airbag attached and now have SRS light on. Hopefully my Indy can reset.

·
Registered
2002 E320
107 Posts
The clock spring is held on by a plug. If you pull and wiggle it gently it should come loose.

If your indy garage works on German cars regularly then they will have the code reader but it's not the standard OBD (under the dash) plug. Merc uses their own reader/plug under the hood for body codes like airbags. You might have to take it to a German shop to get it reset. It takes 30 seconds so hopefully it won't cost you more than a few $$.

·
Registered
1998 E320
196 Posts
Old thread but I don't care

Over the past 3 months or so my left turn signal would stay on. I could wiggle the stalk enough to make it stop but my wife was horrified every time that she had this happen to her in the car. I turned to this forum as I have done for nearly every other repair.

The quick fix - drill a hole in the bottom of the column - was spot-on... the screw was right there. However, that was not my problem. I had a defective turn signal device. Autohaus came through for me for about $52 delivered.

Two things that I take very seriously in a car are the brakes and airbags. I followed the instructions on this an another forum after unhooking the battery. The pictures were right on. The tools needed were easy to come by. The whole thing took me about 1.5 hours because I was so nervous around the airbag even though the battery was disconnected. (Grainy black and white printed images did not help either.) I am confident that I could now change the stalk or cruise stalk in less than 15 minutes now. Super easy.

Once again I am grateful for this forum. This was a very rewarding DIY.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts