Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i bought a second 300 sd back in november. i havent driven it sincei bought it or doen any work on it. one of the major porblems it has is the turn sginals dont work.
orginally when you turned on the headlights both of the arrows on the dash turned on and stayed solid. but now they jsut remain unlit on the dash. but the turn signals never work. like you can turn the lever and it will stay down till you turn the wheel back but no lighting of the signals and no clicking. but when you push the hazard button in and out it makes the clicking noise once for each push.

i can swap parts back and forth to try to identify the problem.

I just need some direction on where you start.

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Had the same problem a few years back. Problem: when turning right stick out your arm reach up with your index finger and some slob will blow the horn behind you, this signal I understand allows you to make the correct turn!!! this is used when you are on your way to the repair shop. PS. just pokeing some fun.

Try a search on the forum (turn signals) has to be something there. also keep your thread advanced as a member may come up with an answer.

Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else got some tips on where to begin trouble shooting or atleast some indicators of the cause?

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,032 Posts
Hi pulsepb,

When you said: ".. orginally when you turned on the headlights both of the arrows on the dash turned on and stayed solid." means your car probably has some sort of ground issue. The parking or taillights were finding the ground via the turn signal indicators on the dash.

Again, "no lighting of the signals and no clicking. but when you push the hazard button in and out it makes the clicking noise once for each push." could also strengthen that argument. I imagine if the Hazard relay were bad, it might click just once as you describe, but I really can't see both symptoms caused by only the relay.

MBL

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
MBL87560SEC,

Hmmmmm.......my turn signal indicators light up as well when I turn my headlights on, albeit somewhat dim. When signaling a turn they brighten and flash as bright as an XMAS tree bulb. My turn signal lights work fine as well and the turn signal armature returns to it's horizontal position after coming out of the turn.

Are the turn signal indicators on the dash not suppose to illuminate at all when you turn on the headlights?

Gary

·
5,032 Posts
Hi Gary,

You are correct, the indicators SHOULD NOT be illuminated when the parking lamps or both the headlamps & parking lamps are turned on.

"albeit somewhat dim" might be a tip off there. Obviously they will be less bright than the turn indictors (as on any car).

Do you have a voltmeter? If you cold get at one of the park lamp bulbs in situ, turn on the p/lamps & see if you get any voltage from the grounded socket (where the bulb pops in) to the car body. You shouldn't have any with either the parks/turn (L&Rt) or the tail lamps either. If it is a ground 'feedback' problem, it can be generated in those 4 places.

Good luck, MBL

·
5,032 Posts
Hi Gary,

Somehow I read your description wrong, Sorry to be confusing. My comment: "Obviously they will be less bright than the turn indictors (as on any car)." was (incorrectly) in reference to the parking lamps themselves..... Don't ask.... [8] [:eek:]

The principles regarding something finding a ground through the turn indicators is still the same, regardless of my mistake.

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
MBL87560SEC,

Perhaps it was my description that threw you! My turn signal lamps (on the outside work fine and as they should. Now lets concentrate on the dash lights which indidcate a turn. Mine are not lit with the lights off unless I signal a turn, however, when I turn my light switch to the first or second position to the right they illuminate faintly. When I signal a turn they flash with the same intensity as they do when I signal a turn without the headlights on. I hope this clarifies my previous offering. Should they not illuminate at all when the headlights are on and no trun is indicated?

Thanks,

Gary

·
5,032 Posts
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the above....

Under normal circumstances, the dash turn indicators should remain completely unlit whether or not the parking/head lamps are used. They should act as yours do with the lights OFF and shouldn't glow at all w/lights on.
They should light brightly whenever either the turn signals or hazard flashers are used.

I believe you'll find this glow that is occurring (associated with use of the parking/head lamps only) shows that one of the circuits activated has a compromised or partial ground feed - and therefore is 'looping' to ground through the dash indicators. Another way, some of the parking lamp current is flowing through your dash indicators to complete the circuit. I further suggest one can rule out (as a source) the actual low & high beam headlamp current - as the glow occurs with parking lamp usage and without headlamps.

The thing about bad grounds is it can take some time to eliminate the 'what it is not' possibilities before hitting the solution accurately.
I think it is fair to say doing it by 'remote control' adds another layer as well.

I wish I had a heated garage with my 560 in it so i could commune with it, you know, sort of get the lay of the land...... Anyway, I can dream. my my 560 is tucked away off site....... Looking at these PDFs in the web browser ain't like looking at the real thing at all!

[:p] I'm really at loss as to why I hadn't thought of this before..... How about using the 'Standing' section of the Exterior Lamp Switch to further isolate the problem? You can switch between either the left parking lamps or the right side. If your turn indictors glow on one side & not the other.... Bingo! You are a lot closer to the solution. Obviously, test as you would be driving the car.... park lamps on, engine running etc.

Now for a Wild Card: If the indicators glow with either just Left and just Right park lamps on........ it may have something to do with the dash illumination.....

If the lamps continue to glow as described above, see if it does it with the ignition off as well, and repeats with ign. on.

I got my fingers crossed for you man!

[8)] MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300SD
4 Posts
Turn signal stay on

I seem to have ifferent problem, where the turn signal work but stay on.
The indicator lights on dashboard also behave same way. When the indicator
lights, the turn signals also glow, but they don't switch off. There is humming nose heard, something trying to switch off, but stays on. Once in a while, it
turns off and then back to on sometime, struck again to turn off.
Is it anything to do with Relays? I tried to remove the relays and put back them in the fse box, but didn't help. It was ok 3 months back. I am running out of ideas and want to know if any relay problem and if so, which relay is it?

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
As you would have found out with a forumsearch, the relais is behind the instrumentcluster.
If not sure how to do a forumsearch, please (re)read the welcome-anouncement. It'll tell you how and why to fill out your profile too.

gr J

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
The module is is a small back box behind your speedometer cluster which can be pried out with 2 forks, there are no screws. The lil black box is in the middle attached to a harness, you can reach in and grab it, also stop by the wreckers and grab a hazard light switch they just pop out no fuss

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 500 SEL German spec
32 Posts
I have a new one:
I acquired my 500sel with a broken hazard switch, so anytime the battery was connected the hazards stayed on (this was convenient when I towed it home). I recently ordered a new hazard switch, should be here soon. I'm anxious to find out if the switch was the only problem. Upon disconnecting the hazards my blinkers don't work, nor do they illuminate in the dash. Should this be, or am I going to have to replace other parts?
Maybe it's a foolish question, I suppose I'll know once my switch arrives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts