Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C230K 135K miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my front turn signals are out. In looking for a fuse, the fuse designator document says : Turn Signal, t.s. indicator lamp = electronic. Which implies there is no fuse for the TS. Does that mean it is fed directly from the TS relay?

Also, the fuse designator document lists the location of various relays on the fuse boards, but does not indicate their names. Specifically I would like to know if anyone can tell me the location of the TS relay for a 2002 C230K.

I have done a lot of searching before posting. Thank you.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
There is no relay or fuse. The turn signals are controlled by the SAM's. If your rear turn signals work, the it's going to be bad bulbs or a wiring harness problem for the fronts.

·
Registered
2002 C230K 135K miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rodney for your response. Two quick follow up questions. (1) What are the SAM's you refer to? and (2) Is it possible to find a wiring diagram for my C230K?

Thanks again.
Gary

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
SAM = Signal Acquisition Module, which is a control circuit that sits behind the fuses under the hood (front SAM) and in the trunk (rear SAM). They communicate with the car's systems via the CAN bus. This is so a wiring harness is not needed for each light circuit going all the way from the switch to the bulb. Instead, the switch (whether we're talking turn signal stalk, hazard light headlight brake pedal, etc.) sends it's signal across the single CAN bus wire. The SAM "listens" for that and reacts accordingly, sending the appropriate voltage out through the fuses to the electrical consumers.

There are wiring diagrams in WIS, but they are schematic style and it takes a lot of them to find one route. My advice is still to use a volt/ohmmeter and trace it.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Important question here.

When you said the turn signals are not working can you be more explicit?

If you put your key into the ignition switch (pos 0) and turn one position (pos 1) - then operate the turn stalk in both directions, what happens?

No external turn lights?
No internal turn lights on the instrument cluster
No tone?

If yes to ALL those - the common element for failure must be the stalk switch.

·
Registered
2002 C230K 135K miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with key on, the turn signals do a "fast flash" with sound.
no external turn signal lights on front....rear are ok but flash "fast"
tone is present

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Hmm... this is a weird one..:confused:

It seems to me that a bad bulb could be affecting other circuits. I would be inclined to remove the turn lights that are not working, one at a time, and check the operation of the rest of the turn light system.

I have added a section of the overall circuit diagram for the external lights. This shows similar wiring to the left front lights E1 and the right side E2. You can see that the wires (but NOT those for the headlight) go directly to the Front SAM N10/1.

The left turn light is E1e5. The 4 lamps e1, e2, e3 & e5 all share a connector, which you can remove and then check the lamp supplies with a test meter while operating the light switch & the turn switch. You should measure 12v dc at each of the 4 pins, and pin 2 should be a good earth to chassis.

If you are in the US, you also have turn side marker lamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 C230K 135K miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Keyhole. I will do some more troubleshooting using your schematic. Yes, I do have side turn signals on the side mirrors. They are functioning normally.

·
Registered
Mercedes c230 sedan 2003
4 Posts
Help

My steering wheel controls do not work as well as my turn signals and windshield wipers. I took it to a mechanic and the said it is a electronic component module and i would need to replace them and they are trying to charge me 1200 please somebody help me out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mastrtek Turn signal & relay for Mercedes

I heard the other fellow said there wasn't a fuse or relay for your turn signal. The hazard/4-ways switch is the relay for the turn signals

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do enjoyed your response here. I also have a similar problem with my W168 Mercedes A-Class. The right external trafficator light both front and rear are working fine when I trafficate right, but when I trafficare left both internal (instrument cluster) and external trafficators are not working. Please what could be the problem? I checked all the fuses they are all okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Rodney for your response. Two quick follow up questions. (1) What are the SAM's you refer to? and (2) Is it possible to find a wiring diagram for my C230K?

Thanks again.
Gary
Im not sure how ole your post is, but did you ever rectify your turn signals? I have the same issue, except both my BACK signal are out. They both went out 2 days ago, but started working later that evening. Im also getting numerous other cautions/messages associated with rear lights. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts