Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I just finnished replacing my head gasket on my 93 2.5 torbo diesel, with some of your help and wana thank you. As i started the engine for the first time it ran preatty well, then i turned the key off to stop it and engine keept running. now what am i missing here? im preatty mew to disel engines, but i know they will even run without a battery, so i figure my problem has to be something related to fuel. Now i just wana mention that i didnt mess around with any of the injection pump components. Any ideeas?
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002. 1991 250TD. 1995 E320. 2018 Honda Africa Twin
2,714 Posts
thats called "dieseling." its pretty common for diesels, to the extent that there should be a manual cut off switch IIRc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well there is no way to adjust timing from what i know. I eighter have it right or wrong, but i assume that if the timing was off on tooth the engine wouldnt run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well yea i know there is a switch on the injectionn pump but i shouldnt need to use that every time i stop my car. i assume thats just for emergencies.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
It sounds like you accidentally disconnected one of the black vacuum lines under the hood, probably next to a splitter connection. They are rubber and have a tendency to slide out if you pull on the line. They usually run towards the driver’s side of the engine closer to the firewall. Look at your IP and you should be able to see where there is a vacuum line leading from the back or side of it. Follow that line; it should connect to the main line that runs from your vacuum pump near the front of the engine to the brake booster mounted on the firewall. Easy fix.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
A diesel engine is stopped by cutting off fuel. No electric "ignition" exists.

A vacuum-actuated valve accomplishes fuel shutoff, and you've disconnected the vacuum.

"Dieseling" is something diesels do all the time!

The term us USUALLY used with respect to gasoline engines when they run on despite lack of spark plug firing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and where exactly is that vacum operated fule shut off valve? is it on the injection pump?

·
Registered
452 Posts
not that it matters since everybody has already told you this, but I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum issue. My dad's 300sdl had a problem like this when I was on a road trip. I had to shut the engine down by pushing the stop lever under the hood. I lost my power brakes at the same time, so I had to toe it to the nearest stealership (since I didn't know what was wrong).

So discouraging though, because we had driven for like 14 hours straight and were only 2 hours from our destination!!

But back to the point, it was a bad vacuum pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts