Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its on the passengers rear wheel. only when ou turn and hit a bump.

shock? rubber suspension stops? axle bad? rear end going out? rear driveline failure looming close overhead?

its like a loosish hollow thunk, happens at low speed.

maybe this is related to the bouncy-benz syndrome its been having lately? the car seems to be riding on a wheel that is out of round and it\s just....well...bouncy.

it comes as soon as you start rolling and smooths out around 40mph, but the car is not drivable on the interstate because it vibrates like mad and sounds like a furiously fast biker peddling like mad with a baseball card on his spokes. or better yet...

it sounds like corduroy continually rubbing itself at very high speed, echoing off the metal roof in the car.

any guesses?

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
Try jacking the car off the wheel on that side, stick a bar under the tire and pry up. have some one else watch and I would guess you have a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Rear shock. My old Coupe did it. It sounded like the muffler rubbing against something. Just bounce the car when its parked and listen for it.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
It's the rear shock.I have the same problem. I jacked up the rear end and noticed that where the bottom of the shock connects(bolts) is rusted out and loose. I figure a little creativity like 2 4" washers with a 2" hole in the middle attached by a few bolts will solve the problem or I can replace the whole component(yea right).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts