Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1500 Military UNIMOGs have been released to be sold to the civilian market. Upgrading to Armored transport vehicles is one reason mentioned. Actually buying one and getting it out of Turkey might be a challenge, but who knows ?
"UNIMOGLAR VEHICLES" is a good one.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 11.59.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 11.58.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.00.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.00.27 AM.png
Eux--uVWYAMjHQJ.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.01.48 AM.png
x5_881278257yw9.jpg
x5_881278257z4m.jpg
x5_881789038m1f.jpg
x5_885578644tyx.jpg

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.2 Not sure about the 411, but it came up with one of the same handlers in Turkey, so I included it.

x5_885578644wy9.jpg
x5_887489627h0o.jpg
x5_887489627ohs.jpg
x5_887489627yag.jpg
x5_887489627yfs.jpg
x5_889493463ip9.jpg
x5_889493463sp7.jpg
x5_8817764000ps.jpg
x5_8817839656if.jpg
x5_8855762792mi.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does anyone know witch Unimog is best to buy. Anyone in California going to try and buy one I always wan one

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,575 Posts
Far too broad of a question.

What do you want to use your Unimog for? Each model has its strengths and weaknesses, and each individual one is outfitted differently, which may, or may not, work for you.

So, what's your Unimog goal or dream? Lets start there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would like to have the fastest one for starters I would like to drive it out to the desert witch is four hours away Is there one that is most reliable that’s for starters

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, a couple of things -

UNIMOGs are slow.

With some notable exceptions, they are all slow, and your average highway speed will be 60 MPH,
perhaps 65 MPH. Maybe less, depending on how it is equipped and loaded.

There are some rare exceptions, and I have pushed 80 MPH in mine, on a downhill, just to see what I could get out of it, but I'd never be able to travel that speed on the level, and the UNIMOG and the tires would not like it if I could.

If you are considering weekend trips to the desert, with 8 hours of drive time there and back, then honestly, a domestic 4x4 pick up with a diesel will work within that time frame much better. In the pick up you can comfortably cruise at
80 MPH or even 90MPH, and that is just between you and the Highway Patrol, as the truck will shrug it off.

A UNIMOG simply cannot compete in the speed and air conditioned comfort category. You can add air conditioning, and an Overdrive, and head out to the desert, but at the end of the day, you'll still average 60 MPH.

If the desert is 4 hours away, then it will take longer than that in a UNIMOG.

This is all assuming that you are pondering the 'Leave Friday Night, back Sunday Afternoon, Work on Monday' scenario.
If you are going for a week, the UNIMOG gains a little more practicality, but it will still dictate longer drive times and a more leisurely pace, with more 'Character' maybe. Pack your infrared Thermometer.

There is no inherently 'More Reliable' UNIMOG. Their condition and maintenance history absolutely dictate their reliability. They are complex vehicles, once you get into the square cabs, more so if they have PTO's and hydraulics,
and they require diligent care to remain reliable.

I love my UNIMOG, but I have to make a trip to California and back, hauling a flatbed trailer. I'll be taking the Ford
pick up on that trip, and it was no question as to which vehicle to take.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not sure... seems to be unnecessarily over-built
Maybe.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,085 Posts
Sms560,

You are likely going to find the UNIMOG is not for you. With very little exception, they simply do not meet the American standard for trucks.

You can gear it to the moon and it will still be slow compared to anything from Deetroyt.

Maybe you need a trophy truck? Better in the desert and a lot faster.

C.

·
Registered
Unimog U1450 427 -99
62 Posts
Does anybody know how the prices are on these big sellouts?

I see pictures on loads of ex armytrucks but where does they all go?

How many unimog guys is the worldwide that are intrested in them exist???

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,656 Posts
When I bought my RW1, the broker told me the biggest buyer (these were fire trucks so YMMV) was Africa, they would buy them by the lot and use them for various duties.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The broker for the 1500 UNIMOGs from Turkey
Is listed above.
The ‘Y’ logo / watermark is their deal.
Also, in the UK, there is a firm that handles
Many ex- military UNIMOGs . The Singapore
UNIMOGs have been showing up on their lot.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,138 Posts
Does anyone know witch Unimog is best to buy. Anyone in California going to try and buy one I always wan one

Conan, what is best unimog?

Ahhh geeez man, tough one really. I had a 1550 built for me to skirt the rules and it still wasn't the best truck for me., hard to say really? What do you plan to do with it?

Conan, I wish to go fast, drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

Well you'll be hearing lamentation from the women that's for sure, as for driving your enemies, I guess if they are trees or mountains or sand dunes but anything for legs may beat you to the punch, or at least buy all the diesel before you arrive. Fast is relative, most fast things rely on cubic dollars, unimogs seem to rely on dollars per cube cubed, not dollars per cube. Doesn't matter how cheap the truck if the parts can't be bought for love (or hate) or money. I advise you ask Krom his opinions.

Krom, I wish to unimog, show me the way!

I'm still waiting on my truck... Should have used Andy.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,138 Posts
Does anyone make different front and rear end gears for the unimog

Do not become deceived by lies and addicted to folklore, simple math still applies and the laws of creation are unbreakable and bind us all!

No matter how tall you gear it, unimog will be slow. It's heavy and not terribly slick from an aero perspective. As you add gearing speed potential you need to add specific engine output power and vastly improved cooling, precious little of is built into the system.

But father, I wish to go fast!

But son, you can wish all you want but unimog is unimog, once you pour in all the power and gears to go fast; now it's useless for what it's really good at. If speed is your kick, buy a beat up rally mog or a trophy truck and goo zoomie zoomie. A clapped out ex-military spec unimog won't meet your needs without profound and fundamental upgrades.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts