Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turd Ferguson is the name given to this one. In case you don’t know the backstory...

A little over a week ago, I paid a friend to drag this one him for me.

I didn’t have too much to go on, but understood that it was a parts car, and the bumpers looked good enough to pay for it, plus pay my friend to go get in including gas and tolls. I had made a New Years Resolution to not buy any more cars, but got one for free. And then just a few weeks ago a 72 US 350sl with euro lights popped up for what would be a good price for euro lights. So I totally fell off the wagon.

This brown one had the following disclosed issues:
  • busted windshield (no problem since I had one with a tiny crack across the corner in my attic).
  • along with the busted windshield, body damage was disclosed due to tree limb falling on the car.
  • driver window motor gone, bummer because I’m actually already short one driver window motor.
  • obviously has no muffler.
I got these additional photos before it got picked up.

When it got to me I discovered it has:
  • no driver door glass
  • no blower motor or resistor for it
  • no ignition resistors
  • small wire for battery positive was cut
  • no fuel filter, but pump dangling
  • exhaust was cut off in front of the front muffler, so when I get this thing running, it’s going to b loud.

And here’s a longer video of the disgusting condition it arrived in.

What I didn’t show is how disgusting the trunk and soft top storage area were. This is how I cleaned them after removing anything that would have held water. Here’s how I cleaned the soft top.

So my plan is to try and verify the car by getting it running. So it got dragged and pushed into my driveway. My youngest son helped me by chocking the wheels for me as I pushed it up the driveway. He wanted to help more, and it’s always fun to polish a turd.

Here are a few more shots of the car out back and then in the driveway.

So we spent a few minutes doing this...

The engine cranks. All looks like it’s going to be good to go.

Today I plan to replace the resistors and hook up the fuel pump rig to see if the car will run off an auxiliary fuel pump and tank. I have had great results doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watching my own videos reminds me that I want to pull the seats out, but I guess it makes more sense to spend time getting it running first. Hmm...

I’m going to pull my 1972 350sl 4-speed up next to this one to compare all the wiring to figure out what I’ve got to mend together. I guess this may take me more than a few days. No major rush. Right?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Two good signs. Turd is sparky, and the fuel pump puts gasoline in my driveway when I start the car with starting fluid. So I guess there’s hope for the fuel pump. Nice!

I hooked up the fuel pump rig and unfortunately the supply line from the rig to the car (injector rail) started leaking as soon as I ran up the pressure. :(

Had to get back to my job, so I can only hope I will get time to replace the hose and try to get the injectors/d-jet system today.

I can hope! Here’s as far as I got. :(

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's an SLC (not sure of number designation) that's been parked in a lot a few blocks from my house. Want to come out here and dolly it back east?
This’s is pure addiction. I need fewer, not more cars. Off it’s rusty free, and meets some criterial for me, I might have a hard time passing it up though. It seems all the SLCs out here are rotted out.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went after it for about 20 minutes, foolishly trying to cut the supply line on the pump rig. Dumb “shortcut”. Anyway, the rig is operational, but I’m not getting action. I got lucky just coming back to the 450slc euro I recently made run, so maybe I can get lucky after letting the injectors soak in fuel.

But this thing is crazy loud. It needs mufflers. I might need to address that issue before trying to start it again.

Sorry no video yet. It’s not running yet anyway.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get solid consistent spark from the ignition coil, but I think I’m not getting consistent spark from the plugs, and I expect that I’m not getting good fuel flow. I think it was worth a shot, but this is looking a little more time consuming than I expected. I haven’t decided whether to do the spark plugs or injectors flow test next.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Re: the Turd Ferguson video, Fonz, I remember that skit on SNL. Speaking of Turds, I also loved the one about "Ass Don't Smell", but those were the old days. Lately, SNL just STINKS!

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds a bit like galloping horses to me.
It’s definitely not running right in that video but seems to be getting better.

I’ve now got it running off the tank, but didn’t have a fuel filter on hand. So I cut a piece of d-jet fuel rail that I’d already cut from a rusted line on a car I parted out. I cleaned it up and plugged it in where the fuel filter should be under the rear of the car. Smart? It’s ok for clearing the tank lines, but probably not smart for running the car. Right now I’m just clearing the lines. That’s step 1.

In order to clean the supply line, I poured a gallon of gas into the tank and hooked a hose up to both the hard lines on the firewall. I wasn’t 100% sure which was the supply and which was the return, and having plenty of hose, I decided it made lots of sense to put both into a bottle. I then turned the key a hundred times to pump the junk out of the supply line. The tank side had been disconnected, and was full of mud, wasps I assume. There was plenty of sand / dirt granular debris that landed in the bottle. I poured in almost 4 gallons and did some more pruning until the fuel looked like it would be ok to burn.

Then I was faced with what to do about the return line. Really draining it would require draining the tank, and probably spilling fuel all over myself. The pump wasn’t seized, and the return line wasn’t open like the supply line. So I figured I’d roll the dice and let that go back to get mixed with the 4 gallons already in the tank. Maybe that wasn’t smart because, as I understand it, the return goes directly to the swirl pot, ahead of everything else in the tank. Oh well. Cross your fingers for me.

So foolishly, I just plugged the front lies where they belong and got the car running via the key like a normal car with a normal fuel pump and tank. I only ran it a few seconds, and if I log these d-jet injectors, it’s not like I don’t have piles of others I can swap in. And I’m just trying to get this car running and driving, not setting it up for permanent use.

So I need to get a filter in line. I might just do it in the engine bay to not worry about getting fuel all over myself and maybe even draining the tank.

So it’s loud as all get out. I really need to get an exhaust system on this car. I tested the brakes and forward and reverse, and all seem to work. So fuel filter, exhaust, driver window (I have c107 windows, but can’t find any extra r107 driver windows now.).

I should be “done” soon, exhaust being the biggest challenge. Maybe I can clamp on something simple. Maybe there’s something at my friend’s shop. I’m not sure yet.

Put your ear plugs in, Turn the key, ready to move user it’s own power. Progress!

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turd has a fuel filter now and I am working on putting an exhaust on the car. I have an exhaust system from a car I parted out that I am hoping will slip right onto the existing down pipes once I cut them in the right place.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put the used fuel filter on.

Put the exhaust on with my son.

Pumped about 1.5 gallons before hooking up the fuel lines again.

Smokes out the passenger pipe for sure. Maybe dumping fuel. Will have to check the injectors later.

Pulled it out of my driveway.

Ahh... clean up the driveway again, and on to the next non-running vehicle. I can’t stand having vehicles that don’t run. They need to be made run or parted out. If they can run and drive, they get a stay of execution.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Now that it runs and drives... what will you do with it?
Well, now it’s not a total pain in the butt to own. I’ve got storage, and since I don’t yet have a driver r107 window (c107, but not r107), I guess I will park it in the barn.

I might inspect the injectors and check their flow, specifically the passenger bank. That will help really verify the systems.

This car is really restorable, very solid rot free with the exception of that small hole in the rear seat bucket. I’ve got to figure out whether restoration makes any sense. Currently I do not know. So I’m going to park it in the barn most likely. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I’m going to work on other similar cars, and might want to swap parts while my head is in it.

I’ve got to make sure I can make the 1972 350sl in the middle of that picture run too. That could be as simple as flushing the fuel system, but maybe it will need lots of parts. I’m not sure what the destiny will be of that car either. In general, the situation is very similar, all solid with the exception of the tool/battery tray in the trunk.

But here are other things on my task list:
  • tear apart a pretty solid 560sl with no engine or front axle.
  • make a 1967 250se w108 4-speed run and drive.
  • figure out what to do with a rotted 1972 350sl 4-speed that has no clutch pressure
  • fix the interior and floors in a 1979 450sl
  • get the trans and exhaust in a 500sl r107, and fix up the interior.
And that’s all before figuring out what to do with @dgosh28’s old 450slc 5.0

And then there’s the anti-squat and euro 4.5 I want to put in the 1972 350sl 4-speed that has a US 4.5 in it and a bunch of rust.

And maybe an anti-squat in my 280sl 5-speed.

And work on my 450slc 5.0 convertible.

And work in the w126 500se AMG, and all the w126 stored in the barn.

It is completely out of hand.

Edit: and I totally forgot about the engine in my garage to swap into the tan w108 in the picture (so I can consider the possibility of rebuilding the original).

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Well, now it’s not a total pain in the butt to own. I’ve got storage, and dice I don’t yet have a driver r107 window (c107, but not r107), I guess I will park it in the barn.

I might inspect the injectors and check their flow, specifically the passenger bank. That will help really verify the systems.

This car is really restorable, very solid rot free with the exception of that small hole in the rear seat bucket. I’ve got to figure out whether restoration makes any sense. Currently I do not know. So I’m going to park it in the barn most likely. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I’m going to work on other similar cars, and might want to swap parts while my head is in it.

I’ve got to make sure I can make the 1972 350sl in the middle of that picture run too. That could be as simple as flushing the fuel system, but maybe it will need lots of parts. I’m not sure what the destiny will be of that car either. In general, the situation is very similar, all solid with the exception of the tool/battery tray in the trunk.

But here are other things on my task list:
  • tear apart a pretty solid 560sl with no engine or front axle.
  • make a 1967 250se w108 4-speed run and drive.
  • figure out what to do with a rotted 1972 350sl 4-speed that has no clutch pressure
  • fix the interior and floors in a 1979 450sl
  • get the trans and exhaust in a 500sl r107, and fix up the interior.
And that’s all before figuring out what to do with @dgosh28’s old 450slc 5.0

And then there’s the anti-squat and euro 4.5 I want to put in the 1972 350sl 4-speed that has a US 4.5 in it and a bunch of rust.

And maybe an anti-squat in my 280sl 5-speed.

And work on my 450slc 5.0 convertible.

And work in the w126 500se AMG, and all the w126 stored in the barn.

It is completely out of hand.

Edit: and I totally forgot about the engine in my garage to swap into the tan w108 in the picture (so I can consider the possibility of rebuilding the original).
All I can say is wow!!! I thought I was nuts but you've got me beat by a mile.
Great storage location... you could build planes in there.
Well done! (y)(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts