Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out this afternoon to replace the seals on my turbocharger oil drain tube so I could stop pouring two gallons of oil in my engine every week. The goal was to accomplish that, replace my front pads, and repack the bearings. Even though all the tutorials explain this is a hellish job, I assumed four hours will be enough to get it done; worse case scenario being I'd have to pull out the trouble light to put the front brakes back together. Boy was I mistaken! It took me three hours just to get that damned bottom tube out of the engine. I destroyed it in the process, so now I have to wait until Wednesday for a new one; and overnight shipping cost me more than the tube itself. The bottom o-ring and grommet were so dried out that, after beating on the tube for an hour-and-a-half, I finally removed the bottom oil pan and used an impact socket that was the same size as the hole and my floor jack to push the tube out; and even that was difficult. Short of burning out the rubber, there was no other way that thing was coming out. I feel sorry for anybody else that has to take on this job, I'm sure it's different for every car; but if even half of them are this difficult...

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
You have some sort of grommet inside the tube? I have a replacement O ring, but didn't know about the grommet. Where did you get it? Do you have the part #?

·
Registered
1985 300TD Wagon
408 Posts
I had no trouble here, as far as I can tell the return pipe exists in two parts, first you unscrew the bolts underneath the turbo and then take both pipes sideways out at the same time. Both rubber rings should come along.
I don't know what time it should take because I had the complete turbo charger and manifold out to empty out the trapoxidizer. I'm a bid surprised about the hassle you had to release the bottom pipe. Hope you profided some (non aggresive) grease on the two rubbers when installing again.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the gasket, o-rings and grommet (part # B4031-21345) from Phil @ mercedes shop. Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to put the car back together because I have to wait for a new bottom tube to arrive on Wednesday. I assure you all, I know how to lube o-rings for reassembly; I know a couple trained monkeys that do also, although I wont talk about what they use as lube.

·
Registered
various W123 chassis
476 Posts
I've done this. I can't see how it can be done with the turbo in place, but I suppose it might be possible. I replaced every seal in the turbo system oil/drain system. It was pretty tricky to figure out which way/order to reassemble the unit properly. I ruined the first grommet trying to install it, best way I found was to pre-load the grommet onto the tube, and knock the whole tube into the oil pan with a 2 1/2 foot pipe with a 1" diameter. I did some cursing! But it's in now and don't leak.

I know your pain on this one!

·
Registered
05 E55
99 Posts
I ordered everything in advance, including the lower pan gasket, and it took a little over an hour. Dont fight with the lower tube, just knock it out from inside the pan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hm , this seems to maybe be my same problem. I have a leak that is similar , I purchased the 82' 300D from my district boss , who bought it 4 years ago. Looks like the previous owner had JB Welded the leak , so I gave it back to my boss who proceeded to re JB Weld the spot. I would like to pin point and fix this for sure . Where can I purchase all needed parts ? And what all tools will I need to accomplish this ?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you need a couple o-rigns, a grommet, and a gasket; all available through any online parts supplier under air intake. I do suggest buying a new drain tube, it's $25, but worth it. The problem is getting the new setup to seal. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1984 300TD wagon
80 Posts
I didn't have any trouble getting the lower tube out. I wasn't afraid to use a pair of channel locks on the tube and yank straight up, though, because i planned on replacing the tube anyway. It still didn't get damaged though. To get the new in place, I put the seal on the tube a little higher than it's supposed to be (actually put it on from the other end and slid it down to the correct end). I pushed the tube down until it seated in the upper pan correctly. Then I used a pair of channel locks from under the car to kind of grab the seal and push it down as far as it would go. It all looks good and I think it should have been fine but it still leaks for some reason.

Rob
1984 300td wagon

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, mine leaks just as bad as it always did. Eventually I'm going to pull the turbocharger off and do the whole job again.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
I just did mine today. My turbo and manifolds were off, so it was the time to do it. If you are leaving everything in place and just changing the seal, you can just loosen the oil return from the turbocharger and swing the pipe at the middle connection, then remove.

After removing the top 1/2 segment of the pipe, here's what I did...

1) Drain oil.
2) Drop oil pan.
3) Press pipe and seal upwards with 14MM socket, extension, and floor jack.
4) Replace seal onto tube, keeping it in the middle section of tube
5) Slip the tube back into the hole.
6) Press the seal down into the hole. Use a screwdriver to push in the sides.

(Also remember to replace the o-rings.)

BTW, that sounds much easier than it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts