Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'00 c230k [w202]
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to add turbo to a c230 k?
i know that its already supercharged but i was wondering if it can be turbocharged too? thanks!

·
Registered
1998 C230
8 Posts
I'm not familiar with your car, but my C230 is not super charged. It has an airbox intake, but that is completely different from a Super.

To answer your questions simply: If it did have a super, then a turbo would just be a mod on the super. Superchargers use a compressor to blow cold air into the engine. Turbos use exhaust in order to spin a turbine which blows air into the engine.

In layman's terms you don't need both. You can have twin Turbos but not really a super and a turbo

·
Registered
24 Posts
honestly, if you wanna talk about needs, you probably don't need either. but is it possible? Hell yah, why not? supercharger basically eliminates bottom end boost lag for the turbo. from what i understand it's not necessarily an easy or cost effective modification, but it would be pretty cool to see. btw, neither one blows "cold" air. they blow compressed air. hence, intercoolers to help cool down the compressed air.

here's a pic for yah....

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
I'm not familiar with the CR (compression ratio) of the M111-supercharged engine, but either way, it's going to be way too much work than you will want to do.

If the engine mechanicals can handle the extra power, then the hardest part is sourcing a shop that will fabricate an exhaust manifold that will fit a turbocharger in the cramped engine bay (the supercharger is already occupying the space where the turbocharger would be ideally placed). Not to mention, once they are able to fit one in the bay, you have to make sure the fuel system can handle the extra power. You will also have to make sure the MAFS has enough room to measure the extra airflow. And finally, and most importantly, you will have to have to get the engine management tuned and/or at the very least put the car on a dyno to make sure the air-fuel ratios are safe for the engine. In the end, it's better off the ditch the supercharger and go custom turbocharged, I'm sure I've seen 1 or 2 of those guys on this board somewhere, but it will cost a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
just build the thing. reroute the supercharge outlet to the compressor inlet and back tto the intake. the engine is already built / tuned for boost. you'll just have to compensate by tuning for a little more fuel and less timing. what's the worst that could happen? you blow it up. well at least you tried and I would respect that. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts