Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
The engine wouldnt run if the turbo didnt work. Best thing to do is hook up a boost gauge and see how much its boosting. Stock pressure is 13psi but most diesels these years are running around 9-10 i would guess. I'm running at 10psi. If its lower than that then you should consider rebuilding it. The engine runs fine on your 83, im guessing?

MARSH

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,679 Posts
obaja - 4/11/2005 3:03 PM

The engine wouldnt run if the turbo didnt work. Best thing to do is hook up a boost gauge and see how much its boosting. Stock pressure is 13psi but most diesels these years are running around 9-10 i would guess. I'm running at 10psi. If its lower than that then you should consider rebuilding it. The engine runs fine on your 83, im guessing?

MARSH
But the engine WILL run if the Turbo isn't working due to a broken ALDA pressure line. It will act like a normally aspirated diesel. [8D]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
True, True. I wasnt thinking. But the owner would, know something was wrong. [|)]

Marshall

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,679 Posts
mikemrq - 4/11/2005 8:27 AM

Just bought a 1983 300dt
how do I know if the turbo works?
If you aren't used to the "feel of a turbo kicking in... from a stop, step on the accelerator heavy, after a brief hesitation, you should feel a definite increase in acceleration which continues to build. It's feels like a delayed reaction. [8D]

Or perhaps there's someone more eloquent to describe that "TURBO FEEL"?[8D]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Listen for the whistle.

G

·
0 Posts
Take the air cleaner off.
Then take it for a spin.
You should hear the wistle of
the turbo real good.

Louis.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
2000rpm is also usually the engine speed where the turbo kicks in.

If it feels like the car is lagging, I would check fuel delivery since it might be clogging a bit and not giving enough fuel (hence, the slow feeling).

A

·
0 Posts
exactly. if ur not properly filtered and adjusted it will lag like its dead. back when i was having my gunk tank problem, and hadnt yet elimated the tank screen, which was CLOGGED shut, the car slowed and slowed till i could barely make 20 mph full open, then she stalled on the side of the road, and wouldnt start. so filters/screen/valve job, and she should pick up MUCH harder.

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
Check the banjo fitting that connects the alda sensor line to the intake manifold. If it is clogged, you won't get much extra fuel under boost. Pull the hollow bolt out and clean it, the "banjo", and the end of the line thoroughly.
You can also try backing the adjuster screw on top of the alda unit out to increase the amount of fuel delivered under boost. Use penetrating oil on the adjuster/locknut before you try to loosen the locknut. Back the adjuster out in 1/8 turn increments between test-drives. If you floor it and get a huge cloud of black smoke (I like doing this at night, with a car behind me so I can see the cloud in the following-car's headlights), you've gone too far....

Jay.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,055 Posts
stock boost was set around 8 psi for emissions reasons-
but dont worry if it's working- very rare to have a non working turbo. Many other more items which would better to worry about.[:)]
BTW there is no 300dt- its a 300 D regardless if it has a turbo or not.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
but they were referred to 300 dt. its a fact

1 - 13 of 13 Posts