Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbo 'Simmering' and ECO mode ?????

Does anyone have any advice about the conflict between needing to allow the turbo's to spool, and cool, down after a period of high speed running. i.e. motorway driving; and the ECO operating when the vehicle stops at a exit junction for example.

I have been turning the ECO "off" in these types of situation, to allow the turbos to run down and assume that this is good practice. I haven't been able to find any reference to this in the manual.

Has anyone any thoughts about this ????

Safe driving,

BobB :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
I do as well BUT I have been told that the sensors and electronics will only allow the ECO to become operational if all the criteria monitored are within specified limits.
I still prefer to be on the safe side though.
A P.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This was discussed years ago when I had my 1986 Volvo turbo. The usual rule was to not drive at 3000 plus rpm and immediately stop and shut down the engine. I always felt the last slow mile or so to the house of office after exiting the interstate would let things cool down. The last I heard was that modern turbos now all have small pumps to keep the oil circulating for a short while after shutdown. Even without that, I was told to expect to repair the turbo every 100k miles. The car lasted 240k miles and the turbo still worked fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts