Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
´85 300D Estate, Unimog 411
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pressurized oil line that goes to the turbo broke down, I end up runing in the highway with clouds of lightblue smoke. After all not big problem.

The thing is that this line is a copper line (like gas lines) welded to banjo bolts.

IS the original line copper, stell or a hose?? I Prefer to change it to a high pressure hose, but like to hear your thoughts before.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
It's metal of some kind, but not copper, as I imagine that would be too soft.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I believe the Original is Steel.
Copper is OK for handeling the pressure but Copper does not hold up to vibration well.

You can change it to a High Pressure Hose. Back in the 1970s Detroit Diesels and Cummins Truck Engines with Turbos all used the Hydraulic Hose with the Braided Stainless Steel cover for the Turbo Oil Supply.
You should be able to pic up a plate for the Turbo Inlet Oil that is already tapped with pipe threads from High Performance Car shops because the Garrette (Air Research) Turbo is a common Turbo used on gassers.
I believe you will have to fabricate the Fitting for the lower Oil Filter Area Banjo. Or, maybe a Hydraulic Shop would have a Banjo with the open end tapped with pipe threads.

·
Registered
´85 300D Estate, Unimog 411
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the Original is Steel.
Copper is OK for handeling the pressure but Copper does not hold up to vibration well.

You can change it to a High Pressure Hose. Back in the 1970s Detroit Diesels and Cummins Truck Engines with Turbos all used the Hydraulic Hose with the Braided Stainless Steel cover for the Turbo Oil Supply.
You should be able to pic up a plate for the Turbo Inlet Oil that is already tapped with pipe threads from High Performance Car shops because the Garrette (Air Research) Turbo is a common Turbo used on gassers.
I believe you will have to fabricate the Fitting for the lower Oil Filter Area Banjo. Or, maybe a Hydraulic Shop would have a Banjo with the open end tapped with pipe threads.
Thanks I´ll go for the high pressure hose, and put banjo bolts on both ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts