Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 300CD non-turbo and I know the engine cant handle that much boost but if im wrong let me know. Isn't it possible to put a small turbo on it just to give it that extra power? I would love quicker acceleration that what it has. If I can, can you please recommend a brand or something. Or would changing the exhaust/intake do much? Any other major performance gains from other parts?

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I have heard that the engine can't handle a turbocharger. However, 3-4psi of boost would be a lot easier on the engine than 7-8psi. I don't know if the engine can handle reduced boost pressure, but if it can you could use the same turbocharger as is on the turbo model and just loosen the wastgate valve thus lowering the maximum boost. Ever consider swaping your engine for a turbo engine? One more thing to look into, ever hear of propane fumigation? Here's a link.
http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
You could probably get a complete turbocharged engine for around $500 at a salvage yard. I don't think there should be any fitting issues since the block would be the same, except for the exhaust. The downpipe that connects to the turbocharger would have to be put on your car. The biggest problem you may run into is transmission, you would need to find out if the transmission is different between turbo and nonturbo models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts